Re-barrel

Mossy-dog

Decision is what options do i have any what are the likely costs, i don't reload and i'm not really planning on starting so i am looking for a medium calibre to do foxes, crows, roe, munties, fallow and occasionally a red or two.

Initial on my list would be a .243 with a slightly longer and slightly thicker barrel than the sporter on there but not too heavy (stock might need a bit of fettling but id like to keep it if possible) and a twist to shoot 100 ish grain bullets when required.

Dan

I think you've answered your own question but, if you're a follower of fashion, the .243 might not suit you, although from your above 'requirement list' it will most definitely suit [most] of your needs

ATB

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to add my opinion, but here goes...

I'm the first one to knock the .243 for deer. I would go as far as saying I hate it! But for what you're saying it sounds like it would be spot on for you. It can go right down to 55gr bullets or up to 100gr, although depending on the twist it may not like either end. As soon as you hit 6.5mm you've raised your minimum bullet weight to 85gr and you've lost some of your point and shoot ability that the .243 gives you.

In my opinion the .243 is one of the best fox calibres you can buy. It will equally make a mess of other vermin and is legal for deer. As the deer aren't big on your list I think it would be perfect. And I'm managing to steer you away from buying a 6.5x55 - my very favourite calibre of all! :wub:

Archived