AX/Spectre

Another one finished today. This was ordered last thursday, and will go to proof this week.

Its a Stiller spectre and it has a Pacnor blank at 28" fitted. Chambered in .308 win.

IMG_1499_zpsjohlzxd4.jpg

Muzzle is cut for an AI tactical brake, and threaded 18mm x 1.5 , then fitted with an invisible cap.

IMG_1501_zps25bbkhcm.jpg

Paint is Ceracoat Milspec OD green H series.

IMG_1503_zps0ibwhevj.jpg

Trigger will be a Calvin elite once proofed.

IMG_1500_zpsvb9pi2tt.jpg

Stock is an AI AX and also an AI bipod.

This rifle will also run AW mags.

IMG_1502_zps5jwxpoci.jpg

Wow one week turnaround time that's not bad.

Is that normal or was this a priority job?

Nice rifle. Really love the Spectre actions.

Dave has done the one week trick for me on 3 occasions now, as long as its stock components he has never let me down. Pitty the proof house aren't as abliging!

Mike

There are no such things as priority Jobs at Valkyrie, Trucraft. I go the proof house, every fortnight, sometimes weekly with guns. If a customer drops lucky, and I have all components in, a rifle like this [no bedding etc ] is a relatively quick job.

The problem these days is getting barrels fast enough. Despite having large stocks, you can guarantee you don't always have exactly what the customer wants every time.

Proof house seem to be a thorn in the side of all gunsmiths.

I am seeing more custom rifles lately that are left unbedded. Do you think this is down the the quality of modern stocks or that people aren't seeing the benefit any more Dave?

I'm a firm believer in bedding. It ensures the action fits the stock absolutely perfectly. That can only [ and does ] aid accuracy. OK, it won't turn a 1moa gun into a BR rifle, but it undoubtedly helps to keep the groups small, and together.

I,ve shot many, many unbedded guns, mainly factory rifles, and they are fine, but they never attain the true accuracy from a well built rifle, bedded correctly into a stock.

Its all about stress. A properly bedded rifle will show very little, to no movement [with a dial gauge ] when the stock bolts are moved. Thats because its sat in a completely stress free environment. That cannot be said of an unbedded or bedding block stock, regardless of who made it. I used to bed the old AI,s because the action would lift when the front stock screw was moved. The new chassis have two longitudinal rails, and those provide an almost miraculous effect. they are the only stocks which are aluminium, i've seen that show no perceivable movement.

I,m also a firm believer in , if you are going to bed a stock, put at least 3/16" deep of bedding compound along the entire action length in there if possible. "skim" bedding has as much use as pissing on a duck. the action/stock interface can still move. It can't when its sat in a good, thick bed of Devcon.

Proof.

I get on very well indeed with Birmingham. They go out of their way to help. Guns get done quickly, I usually drop 5 or 6 off every week/fortnight, and pick the last lot up.

They know who the serious people are, and what it means to their business, and genuinely do their best for us.

Archived