Cheapest place for nightforce scopes?

I am thinking of getting myself a nightforce 5.5-22 X50 scope, the cheapest i can find is litts.co.uk, they are looking £970 for one everywhere else seems to be over the £1000, anyone know of somewhere even cheaper? Just thought I would check before I took the plunge, I hate it when you buy something and your mates tells you he seen the alot cheaper.

I,m surprised you have found one any cheaper at all, make sure its exactly the model you want, as the nf range is cheaper.There is very little mark up on nightforce for dealers, thats why you dont see them being discounted, or stocked. Have a look through one before you spend that sort of money, you may not like it.

Guest deer308

hi,

i am trying to find this out myself but answer me this if you can baldy , who is putting the massive mark up on them when you can buy in the usa and save hundreds of £ of retail.

cheers

The importers mate, RUAG. You used to able to get them shipped over from the states, but nightforce have got very stroppy with their dealers, basically warning them not to. The trade situation with the states is rapidly detiorating, with the american side not issuing "general licenses " at the moment. This means a separate license for every different item. Its got beyond a joke frankly. Our countries are supposed to be friends, good ole george is quite happy for our troops to die, at the americans side, he,s not too keen to sell us any goods for our gun trade.

Guest deer308

hi baldie,

is it time that uk shooters stopped getting ripped off , i am in the trade and it seems to me that there is a few people in the trade who lay down the prices to retail at almost cost and they run on rebates from wholesalers.

Yep, its a funny game, the gun trade. British shops, seem to fall into one of two, or three categories. There are the huge shops who buy massivly, and discount accordingly, and who might as well be selling sacks of veg, because its just turnover to them. Then there are the smaller shops, who are usually dearer, due to smaller buying power, but these are usually the ones who will do repairs and general work [like ourselves]. I,ve nowt against anyone buying from the big discounters at all, we all like to save a quid, but it pisses me off when they bring in guns from these firms, for screwcutting, or other jobs doing, because the big boys wont pay a smiths wages or fit him up with a good workshop. I,m sure most shops are similar, we had a lovely chap in today, from a long way away.He bought a £1500 quid night vision sight, and £300 worth of 10/22 bits. He gave me a plastic stock, for a 10/22 and asked if i could rout it out, for a heavier barrel, and could i then post it on, overseas to him. I did the job whilst he waited, and really didn,t have the spare time, but he was very grateful for just a little time and trouble on my part. Same as another chap, first thing this morning. He came up from cambridge, with a howa, for a timney trigger dropping in. The trigger virtually went straight in, with a little work, and the guy gave me a tenner tip, because i had helped him out. All his local shops wanted the gun for a fortnight, and wouldn,t do it while he waited,the guy was a very serious stalker with a heck of a lot of work, and couldn,t be without his rifle for a fortnight, it took half an hour tops, including chatting/supping coffee.

Discount is nice.....service, as an where you need it, is better,...for me anyway.

I am a big advocate of buying from the USA but in the case of Nightforce scopes there is no saving to be made.

Most items bought from the US work out at about 2/3 of the price here with all duties paid, but Nightforce scopes are already at least 3/4 the UK price before any taxes and duties have been levied and with a total fee of about 23 1/2 % to be added there aint no savings.

The only way you are going to get a Nightforce cheap is to find a US supplier that is heavily discounting them and is prepared to ship tp the UK, a bit like D&R do with Leupold's.

Ian.

Dave,

A service like you provide is higthly regarded but alas is in decline, as there are fewer and fewer willing to offer such dedication but worst of all, the majority are perfectly prepared to accept the lowest standards of service foisted upon them without so much of smuttering of dissapproval.

Its always been said "You get the service you deserve" ;)

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rich.K

I have bought from the US on a few occasssions but am reluctant to get stuff shipped anymore. When it gets stopped by customs, its a bitter pill to swallow and the saving ends up minimal. Had to return a faulty Nikon tactical once and that was a huge ball breaker.

All you need to over come the problems of buying gear from the US is a friend or associate who lives out there. Just get the item shipped to them and have them post what ever you have brought over to you as a gift.That way there is no need for export licenses, import duty or VAT. Just make sure that they post the credit card receipt in a separate envelope. :rolleyes:

Its good to have friends and family in far away places. ;)

Where there is a will there is a way!

All you need to over come the problems of buying gear from the US is a friend or associate who lives out there. Just get the item shipped to them and have them post what ever you have brought over to you as a gift.That way there is no need for export licenses, import duty or VAT. Just make sure that they post the credit card receipt in a separate envelope. :rolleyes:

Its good to have friends and family in far away places. ;)

Where there is a will there is a way!

Hoot,

That's all well and good until you have an expensive item shipped and it gets lost. You then have no insurance cover to get it replaced.

Believe me , if you have things sent by US Postal they DO get lost.

I used to have all my products sent over by US postal but had many items lost. My bags and Foxpro's are now shipped by either UPS or DHL.

Hoot,

That's all well and good until you have an expensive item shipped and it gets lost. You then have no insurance cover to get it replaced.

Believe me , if you have things sent by US Postal they DO get lost.

I used to have all my products sent over by US postal but had many items lost. My bags and Foxpro's are now shipped by either UPS or DHL.

Gary

Insurance and alternative shipping companies are easily sorted. I have had small items sent over via the US postal service for years without any problems. Larger items or those with a bigger price tag have been shipped by both DHL and UPS as required. Its always depended on which one was the most convenient for those forwarding on the goods and their collection arrangements.

The only item I've had lost in transit was lost by the Post Office here in the UK.

Gary

Insurance and alternative shipping companies are easily sorted. I have had small items sent over via the US postal service for years without any problems. Larger items or those with a bigger price tag have been shipped by both DHL and UPS as required. Its always depended on which one was the most convenient for those forwarding on the goods and their collection arrangements.

The only item I've had lost in transit was lost by the Post Office here in the UK.

Hoot,

I agree, insurance is easily sorted but then you have to put the true cost and not that it is a gift as you couldn't get a $1300 scope sent by any shipping company fully insured as a gift.

Guest Smeagle

Doing business with the states is getting shocking, not just for Europe. Its the same everywhere the department of homeland gestapo is so far up themselves them meet coming the other way.

Personally I am looking elsewhere and hopefully if enough do they may get the message. Besides once you do start looking elsewhere you find that the Yank stuff isn't that good anyway.

Hoot,

I agree, insurance is easily sorted but then you have to put the true cost and not that it is a gift as you couldn't get a $1300 scope sent by any shipping company fully insured as a gift.

Gary

I think that depends upon the shipping company. My last major purchase was shipped by Fed Ex fully insured, but that was 4 years ago. You can always state that the items are optics sent as samples so I have since been informed. Its all rather academic really as I don't need another scope at the moment. But when I do I know I wont be purchasing one here in the UK.

Also I'm not exactly sure how you would stand with the standard 90 day insurance coverage that you get automatically when purchasing goods and services by credit card. I shall have to look into that further.

Besides once you do start looking elsewhere you find that the Yank stuff isn't that good anyway.

Graham

Could you offer some examples where you have found that to be the case?

Hoot,

I think if you purchased an item from the US and then got a 'relative' to ship it over as a gift to bypass duty and vat, if it was lost and you tried to claim insurance for the full purchase price I think that customs & excise would want a closer look at the fraudulent declaration.

Also, knowing what the insurance business is like, if you have not cross all the t's and dotted all the i's they would laugh at a claim.

Gary

I have asked a man that should know about these things. He's a Lloyd's underwriter.

On the insurance front. If the goods are insured when shipped it matters not what their status is i'e gift , sample, etc. they are still insured and any loss will be covered. It is not the recipient that claims, it is the sender. So any lack of import duty or tax at the recipients end is not a consideration. :blink:

You are correct in respect to the statutory 90 day credit card insurance. The goods would need to shipped direct from the vendor to the purchaser, for their coverage to apply. :blink:

Win some,lose some ah?

Gary

I have asked a man that should know about these things. He's a Lloyd's underwriter.

On the insurance front. If the goods are insured when shipped it matters not what their status is i'e gift , sample, etc. they are still insured and any loss will be covered. It is not the recipient that claims, it is the sender. So any lack of import duty or tax at the recipients end is not a consideration. :blink:

You are correct in respect to the statutory 90 day credit card insurance. The goods would need to shipped direct from the vendor to the purchaser, for their coverage to apply. :blink:

Win some,lose some ah?

Hi Hoot,

You definitely do! With regard to the insurance, the point that I was trying to get to was that if you are having the goods sent as a gift and let's say it was a product valued at $1000. To get the insured value of $1000 if it went astray this value would have to be declared on the shipping documents and you would then not gain anything by having it sent as a gift as you would most certainly have to pay duty and vat. If you , as many do , got the sender to mark the goods as a gift with a value of $100 , I doubt you would get the value of $1000 claimed back as the insurers would want to see a copy of the shipping papers.

I do know exactly where you are coming from and it is ok until something goes missing - and believe me it does from time to time.

Gary

Gifts greater than the nominal value of $100 get shipped week in week out are you saying that they are all subject to duty and VAT? Who is to say what an acceptable monetary value is for a gift.

$100. $300, $1500.

If thats the case you could always get the item sent as a sample, rather than an gift. As I understand it as long as no payment is made, offered, or demanded to or by the sender no duty or VAT is chargeable.

It would be good if someone could give an definitive answer on this subject. As I'm sure there are a whole host of ways around certain problems. What we need is someone who's a shipping agent to offer a reply. Or a HMCR officer.

i'm not sure this is the same thing,last year i ordered a large amount of reloading gear from Sinclair's when it all arrived i realized there were things i didn't want or need so i sent quite a few things back,i then used the credit against other gear,when i received the re-shipment the value of the package on the shipping order was for £600 even though i was charged less than £100 by sinclairs,the vat and duty was charged on the £600.So going by this you are charged duty on a package on the insured value not the stated cost[i hope this makes sense]

Customs and excise make it up as they go along. If you recieve a "gift" into this country, with a value of £28 or more, you will pay duty on it.They arent daft, the rules are changed regularly to keep up wiyh a global market place. 5 or 10 years ago, anything marked "gift" or rep sample came in duty free.The only think duty isnt raised on , are second hand goods, or warrantied repairs :blink: We have e bay to thank for all this.

Archived