Solid bullets for F class competition

Hi and a quick question to all the 'Effers' on here who shoot in F class competition.

I have been contacted by a Spanish shooter asking if it is legal/allowed to use solid copper bullets for F class here in the UK.

I believe they are not allowed, but can someone tell me if that is correct or not.

Cheers,

Les Senior

Les, they're not allowed at Bisley or on any ordinary MoD range. Other private ranges would depend on the attitude of the owner / club committee and what is contained in the range licensing conditions.

They have a perceived ricochet problem. Some Match Rifle competitors used them years back at Bisley and there were allegedly problems reported by the markers with ricochets and 'bounce-backs'. When the MoD became concerned about high energy rounds and range Danger Area compatibility I think they were roped into the bag of various restricted / banned things on standard gallery ranges. I imagine that the MoD's various 'field firing' ranges used by the 50-Cal association would allow them - but with military bureaucracy, who knows?

Cheers Laurie. I contacted Les Holgate and also Des Parr and they virtually said the same thing, so I have passed on the info to the individual who asked the question.

On another note, pity the hawk got the pigeon before you did!!!!

On another note, pity the hawk got the pigeon before you did!!!!

Ha! In my youth (a mere year or two back you understand :) ) you wouldn't believe how many hours I wasted stalking lone wood pigeons roosting in dead trees with a 22 BSA Meteor air rifle. I'd belly crawl through grass, scrub, cowshit and only gawd knows what saying 'I'll take the shot when I get to that big stone / fence / animal drinking trough / whatever." The bl**dy bird would sit 20 ft up in its tree and say to itself ... "Look at that dumb tw*t crawling through all that muck with a rifle. When he reaches that big stone / fence / etc, etc, I'm off!"

Now we always have one, or two, or three roosting in a Rowan tree in the garden all year round and I look on them with perfect equanimity, no blood lust at all! Damn big meal for a sparrow hawk though - bet it's got indigestion now!

Ha! In my youth (a mere year or two back you understand :) ) you wouldn't believe how many hours I wasted stalking lone wood pigeons roosting in dead trees with a 22 BSA Meteor air rifle. I'd belly crawl through grass, scrub, cowshit and only gawd knows what saying 'I'll take the shot when I get to that big stone / fence / animal drinking trough / whatever." The bl**dy bird would sit 20 ft up in its tree and say to itself ... "Look at that dumb tw*t crawling through all that muck with a rifle. When he reaches that big stone / fence / etc, etc, I'm off!"

Now we always have one, or two, or three roosting in a Rowan tree in the garden all year round and I look on them with perfect equanimity, no blood lust at all! Damn big meal for a sparrow hawk though - bet it's got indigestion now!

Ah yes . . . The BSA Meteor; my first experience to shooting! Although in my case the wood pigeons were 'culled' in the back garden.

I imagine that the MoD's various 'field firing' ranges used by the 50-Cal association would allow them - but with military bureaucracy, who knows?

Thankfully they are still allowed on LFTTA's :) . The last time I was shooting on Salisbury Plain with the FCSA there were 105's impacting in the far distance; so 50 grams of bronze alloy isn't too much of an issue....

Its a pity that solids arnt allowed,

Some designs are exceptionally accurate with high BC.

Using solids for deer work extensively and in development form for 338 and 7mm magnums its a real pity they are not allowed.

Archived