Loading for a Martini Enfield

Davesson

That was the original Martini Henry when it was in .452.... When the .303 came into service it was originally a black powder cartridge in another Lee Rifle. But the Martini Enfield was mostly re-barrelled Martini Henrys chambered for .303 smokeless. History I am okay with but I am fairly new to re-loading

Im not convinced these were proofed for smokeless. But surely if so, should be nitropropf marked?

As for light loads, ive had success with trailboss across a variety of calibres, shooting many fullbore rifles indoors at 25m subsonic. The subsonic mark for .303/174gr is around 9gr of trailboss. More will produce supersonic speeds. Trailboss and cast lead boolits will be low pressure, and easy on the bore.

I assume you are going to shoot cast bullets? Google Ed Harris and Cast Bullet loads in Military Rifles which basically states:

1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

2. 150 grain plain based "100-yard target/small game", 1050-1250 f.p.s., 7 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

4. 180-200 grain gas-checked "deer/600 yard target", 1750-1850 f.p.s., 26 grains of RL-7 or equivalent.

I have always found the above loads to be remarkably effective regardless of calibre or cartridge and as stated above Trailboss is also well worth a look

I prefer trailboss over pistol powders personally. The thought of a double charge of bullseye doesnt sit well with me.....which is why I went for trailboss, big bulky, yet low density powder that fills cartridges well, with no need for fillers.

TB is great as you can safely fill a case if needed. I do all of the metallic loading and my wife does the powder throwing and there is always a visual check between us as she hands me the trays. Having said that I do agree a double load of pistol powder would not be fun.

Providing that you have the E stamped on the Knox

I was using a 215 gr gas checked cast bullet, and various powders, 33gr of N140, 12-14 gr of HS 6 and a full case of 777.

I did try Privi factory ammo but to say it was savage would be an understatement especially on the thumb opening the breach.

Yet another one of my selling regrets, it always put a smile on my face.

As always these were safe in my rifle.

Providing that you have the E stamped on the Knox

I was using a 215 gr gas checked cast bullet, and various powders, 33gr of N140, 12-14 gr of HS 6 and a full case of 777.

I did try Privi factory ammo but to say it was savage would be an understatement especially on the thumb opening the breach.

Yet another one of my selling regrets, it always put a smile on my face.

As always these were safe in my rifle.

Thanks for all the info gents, good to hear my concerns of putting factory stuff through it were right. The Privi stuff is pretty much all I can see RFD's selling.

Archived