.204 Ruger

Hi everyone, I joined today and thought I would kick off with a request for some help.

I really fancy a .204 ruger but funds are limited so it looks like my choice is down to one of the following. CZ 527, Howa or Remington SPS Varmint. If funds were no problem I would prefer a stainless with a laminate pillar bedded stock. My quandary is which one of the above to go for. I am leaning towards the Remi because of the ease in obtaining replacement parts in the future ( ie trigger assemblies and stocks etc).

Any advice will be very, very welcome.

Thanks

Mike

The gun you are looking for already exists, its the ruger vt.204 [i have one] its stainless, and a laminate stock, and pillar bedding it isnt difficult.

dont discount the CZ 527, I played with a .223 varmint synthetic and it really impressed me, it may not be what your looking for in terms of stainless/laminate but it is a lovely rifle, I played with a VT in .204 and it was ok but very heavy and personally I would have the CZ anyday over it. The CZ comes with a nice HS precision stock (similar to the one a remi VSSF comes with) its pretty light, proper detachble mag, trigger that works right outta the box (though a bit gritty) rifle basix have just started making triggers for them and you can get them through sinclair. The little CZ is very compact and would make a great all round rifle for walking the fields, the ruger too me is a far too heavy too walk around with. Try and get a look ahe CZ for the money its a great rifle.

heres a review

CZ 527

another review

Also this guy makes some mods for them i.e re shaped bolt handles and single shot followers

james calhoon

dont discount the CZ 527, I played with a .223 varmint synthetic (they come in .204 also) and it really impressed me, it may not be what your looking for in terms of stainless/laminate but it is a lovely rifle, I played with a VT in .204 and it was ok but very heavy and personally I would have the CZ anyday over it. The CZ comes with a nice HS precision stock (similar to the one a remi VSSF comes with) its pretty light, proper detachble mag, trigger that works right outta the box (though a bit gritty) rifle basix have just started making triggers for them and you can get them through sinclair. The little CZ is very compact and would make a great all round rifle for walking the fields, the ruger too me is a far too heavy too walk around with. Try and get a look ahe CZ for the money its a great rifle.

heres a review

CZ 527

another review

Also this guy makes some mods for them i.e re shaped bolt handles and single shot followers

james calhoon

Guest Rich.K

I have a Remy LVSF as wanted a light short barrelled rifle. I restocked it, bedded it and swapped the trigger. Nothing I wouldnt do on most factory rifles and am really happy with it. I would say as a generalisation the most popular 204 are savage in the US.

Thank you for all the replies.

The CZ Kelvar Varmint looks interesting and the weight and stock are real plus points.

Looks like I will have to do a bit of traveling around and see if I can find a Ruger, Savage and CZ to have a look at. However it looks like on paper it will be a choice between the CZ and the Ruger.

Many thanks

Mike

The good thing about both those guns, is there is a rifle basix trigger for both of them, and having fitted , and used both, the difference is astounding. Check out next months shooting sports, it should have an article in about a ruger vt .204, that i pillar and devcon bedded, screwcut, and re triggered with an rb, for Pete Moore, its apparently holding 1/2" with 40 grainers no bother.

I'd got rather excited over the weekend about the CZ and phoned them this morning only to find out they only do .204 with the wood stock so am just off to look at a Ruger.

Mike

Guest rogern

I got a 204 Howa last year for foxes & bunnies.

Just started to use it seriously and I am gobsmacked by the accuracy, had a night on bunnies on monday, its zeroed to 1" high @ 100 so I hold dead on at up to 250.

one rabbit was ranged at 197 yards, I held dead on and it exploded as soon as I pulled the trigger, my - who uses a rimmy .22 said he'd never seen anything like it. Not much to take to the gamedealer though!

Howa downside is very heavy and a horrible stock.

I'd got rather excited over the weekend about the CZ and phoned them this morning only to find out they only do .204 with the wood stock so am just off to look at a Ruger.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a cz in 223 since 2 years and was unhappy with the stock touching the barrel.

So I milled out quite a bit and layed out the inside of the forend with carbon fibre aswell

as doing the bedding. Now it is stiff as hell and has about 2mm clearance. I would in the

future prefer to do this than pay the extra for a HS.

I don't know if the pictures I attached will come through. (first time)

Regards Edi

2069timber_carbon-med.jpg

2069timber_carbon_cz-med.jpg

Archived