LV/HV benchrest stock dims

Redshift

Can any of you fine benchrest guys tell me the legal requirement for the above stocks, I seem to remember that the forend has to be a max of 3" wide flat or convex on the bottom, the stock has to have a drop at heal of 4" . Is this right? It's something that's been bugging me for a few days.

Redshift

Not easy to describe but I'll try - but if you Google 'NBRSA rules' you will find the rule book with a diagram of a stock.

Basically the rules are designed to keep our rifles looking something like a rifle!

As you say, the max width of the fore-end is three-inches and must be flat on the underside.

The design of the butt section is described as follows - extend the bore-line rearwards to where the buttplate lies and drop down four-inches. To get the slope of the butt underside, extend a line from this point to bisect the bore line at a point 18 inches forward of the boltface. You may or may not choose to include a heel or pistol grip - the latest designs don't.

For 600/1000 yard benchrest these rules don't apply - the butt underside can be flat and the fore-end wider.

If you buy a genuine LV/HV stock, it will comply. If you are making your own then you can get quite radical but still comply with these rules.

Cheers Vince,

It's was the bit about being 18" in front of the boltface that I had forgotten.

Top man

Redshift

Archived