Members Tactical Build

For keith (gratuitous product placement for Gary C's stock, barrel, scope and sling)

Barrel cleans up lovely, cleaned it after proof, then after initial

Zero, then after the rrc, 130 rounds dirty and 2 wet patches had everything out.

1443313A-0CC7-46C6-B48D-FBA50D817BCE_zps

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After running my 38gn hot varget load at the RRC, i have managed a couple of load development sessions.

The hammered brass

3637D305-BCC2-4DBD-91A7-FC392358E5C8_zps

The test with hammered brass, selected 36.9 as my hunting load until i could get some new brass to develop better. Shot in a bit of a cross wind

BEA9C172-705F-4AAE-926E-8C5C6AB6F897_zps

Test last night with new brass, i now know where to start playing around. Varget gave better first results in my other 6.5, saving my stock for my stalking rifle.

A0BE46ED-D6F1-4230-B086-C7DD97617E99_zps

36.9 needs development, but id also consider RL15 and H4350 if Varget isn't an option.

• 3 weeks later...

A03FD9DF-DAAE-46BA-9875-E3A45E4174DF_zps

Heres the next stage of load development with the 120 amax, n150 load. The scope had been off the rifle to demo my AI AE to its new owner, shot 1 right when back on (bottom left target was me getting it back on). The .020 target at 36.9gn (top right) I was still slightly to the left by 1 click, the .015 target I was re-zeroed.

It started raining so I didnt get to shoot the .005 group, but nothing look like it was moving in. going to up the powder slightly and stick at .020 for a while. I rekon if I dipped into my supply of varget and got some 123gn bullets wed be in business, the 120s are very random in their length, these rounds are a couple of thou either side of the stated measurement, perhaps I might batch some??

Batch or bin the A Max

Use Varget, Use 123 Scenar

120 prohunters on deer.

Varget is the powder.

Middle far right group is promising with N550 though.

Quick, distract him, he has two tubs of Varget on his shelves...

• 3 weeks later...

Shot the 0.005 group last night, wish i hadnt shot numbers 4 & 5. Less than 10mins after that i shot a 350m fox.

50DEE401-DADB-45F3-8E81-AD138037C316_zps

Gun has potential Andy.,

Shot the 0.005 group last night, wish i hadnt shot numbers 4 & 5. Less than 10mins after that i shot a 350m fox. 50DEE401-DADB-45F3-8E81-AD138037C316_zps

Gun has potential Andy.,

Or you could call it 5 , 0.000 groups ...........

Or you could call it 5 , 0.000 groups ...........

:-) great suggestion,and it would finally remove all this 3/5 shot group malarky-five shots just always adds uncertainty,and three is unsatisfactory too-there is always too much internal variation,because the real world changes between shots,so:

Far better to have more .0000 data,which would be a good sample,statistically-and that uses proper formulae, so it's true,not just subjective opinion.

The proof is the one shot fox,so this works in practice,as well as theory. Simples.

The proof will be in August, big fields, big groups, big targets,.. The harvest will begin and i wont have to stalk too close with this puppy.

Glad its working for you Gary.

Quality components, close tolerances and attention to detail during the build draw dividends when the trigger is squeezed.

A pleasure to make for you - though I have to say, every rifle I make gets the same OCD input from me.

:)

• 1 month later...

Glad its working for you Gary.

Quality components, close tolerances and attention to detail during the build draw dividends when the trigger is squeezed.

A pleasure to make for you - though I have to say, every rifle I make gets the same OCD input from me.

:)

Ahhh so it was ronin that built it for you Gary.

I'll have to send the T3 to him for a bit of fettling.

• 5 weeks later...

Gary,that is an excellent group-I bet this time you are glad you fired shots 4 and 5 (and 1,2,3) ,of course!

From the load data,it seems the same load as before?

About as good as it gets.

Now you need to do it nearly every time.

No pressure.

The sobering thought-casually mentioned to me when I started BR-is that if this is evidence of how good the rifle is,every time you fire a shot that is not like this group,that is evidence of your lack of corresponding shooting skill.

Not everyone can take that truth,but truth it is,nonetheless.

Great shooting.

Keep it up.

gbal

Stunning group Gary.

The rifle and the others you have certainly perform on paper, but more importantly on their intended targets - thats what counts. :)

2867fps average

2861 low, 2873 high

Thats with new brass, hoping things will be better when i use the fireformed, trimmed and neck sized stuff.

I normally use a k&m expander before first use on 47lap brass, then neck size but this 100 i just loaded from the box. Seating was irregular, the bullets showed a "ring of confidence" from the seater die.

Brass is in the tumbler now!!

Archived