BULLET CATCHER

JMS Arms

I need to build a bullet trap for work shop use :P

Has anyone built one or got any info. It needs to be a bit better than a log in the corner and safty is a big concern. I have seen snail traps, tubes full of sand and water tanks but cant seem to find any info on google. I need to know steel thickness ECT.

Any info would be very useful. ;)

Julian

Hi Julian,

We have one in the shop, we use for testing and zeroing, but its only for .22 rimfire use. Its basically a large box with an angled back, and a couple of sacks of sand in the bottom.It works perfectly, and we,ve never had anything coming back ;) , or fragments, but there is a piece of linertex over the front.This would be an absolute must with a centrefire. I think ours is 6mm plate, but for centrefire use, i,d guess it would want to be at least an inch thick, with possibly a removeable, and replaceable strike plate inside?

your best place to ask would be the nearest indoor range that has centrefire, like lever actions etc, basically one of the old pistol clubs. If you need linertex, give us a shout, i think Roger knows where there is some.

Julian

dont know if this helps but Lutz Moeller (lthe turned bullet maker), uses 1 meter vertical steel tube filled with water to catch the projectiles.

Inside the tube is another similar to a colander so the projectiles can be retrieved.

There is some amusing footage of the firer being covered in water when testing is done but in principle it seems to work quite well - especially if you dont want to damage your bullets.

The ballistics lab in Manchester uses a steel tank (at least 1/4 plate and 2meters x2 meters x2meters ) the projectiles are recovered with something similar to a tea strainer on a long pole.......

I suppose it all depends on whetehr you want undamaged recovery of not, a steel trap is relatively easy to think up, finding suitble steel, well thats another thing ;)

Hi Julian,

We have one in the shop, we use for testing and zeroing, but its only for .22 rimfire use. Its basically a large box with an angled back, and a couple of sacks of sand in the bottom.It works perfectly, and we,ve never had anything coming back ;) , or fragments, but there is a piece of linertex over the front.This would be an absolute must with a centrefire. I think ours is 6mm plate, but for centrefire use, i,d guess it would want to be at least an inch thick, with possibly a removeable, and replaceable strike plate inside?

your best place to ask would be the nearest indoor range that has centrefire, like lever actions etc, basically one of the old pistol clubs. If you need linertex, give us a shout, i think Roger knows where there is some.

Hi Dave

thanks for the quick reply.

I will need to go upto 300 win with vld's :P

I like the sound of a tube design, but what is linertex ? I was going to use one inch rubber matt?????

Julian

Linertex is a sheet material, possibly half an inch thick.I,m not certain it was developed for this exact purpose, but i would guess so.Its relatively heavy, and "self seals" when a bullet passes through it, and will withstand many thousands of rounds through it before starting to disintegrate to any degree.Its not, to all intents and purposes, a lot different to a sheet of 1" rubber as you suggest, but it is the stuff all indoor ranges use, so that led me to believe it was deveoped for this use.

I've seen something made out of stuff similar to what baldy is talking about and a barrel of sand. The barrel was filled to the top with moist sand and sealed with the rubber, then led on its side. I have no idea if it would stop a .300 win mag though, it was used for .223 ;)

Maybe you could make one and put it somewhere with a good backstop behind it? Shoot it and then carefully dig it out to see how far in the bullet went before being stopped?

Even a 223 will go through 6mm plate at 100yds with no effort at all. Angling helps by effectively increasing the steel thickness, but will only give a moderate increase. 300 Wm, mine goes through 12mm plate at 150yds like a cobalt drill!!!.

The best I could suggest is a 2mtr 150mm steel tube filled with sand and as suggested, the end covered with 12mm plus rubber sheet, the bullet will be damaged and expanded, but not ventilating one of your neighbours.

Firing live rounds in a workshop has to be regarded as bad practice really with a centrefire rifle, however much easier it makes it for you.

Redfox

Can't really suggest any other ideas than above but...

even my 308 will penetrate 12mm mild steel at 150m with soft points :D

If you look around the yanky sites there is a few companies making full bore targets.

They talk about steels having, I think off memory 500 brinell hardness. The downside to this is welding creates stress points as it releives the hardness, if you like local annealing ( softening by heat process). Therefore careful construction of the design will be called for with the baffle plate of some such or similar material to above bolted in.

I will see if I can find the site I'm refering to.

I can't seem to find the steel reference so you will have to do a trawl.

I have a bit of experience with steel fabrications but I would be inclined NOT to use steel as the stop as the container yes and rely on a sand trap of some sort.

Just my 2p, ask If you need any more help.

The good thing about sand is it's "self healing". You can shoot the same place and the hole will just fill itself in ready for the next shot. I've read that water is extermely good at stopping bullets too, but the trouble is you have to fire downwards into a tank. I'd stick with sand myself.

I guess you would need a lot of steel, gosh a mate of mine uses a 300 and he is punching holes right through a concrete block laying on it's flat with 2 inces of render over it so effectively about 10 - 11 inches think at 1200 yds. Them things have a lot of pushing power, so you might have to put a lot of baked bean tins together to stop the bugger :D

Thanks for all the info.

I recon steel can only be used as a container and I will rely on the sand to do the stopping.. I recon to get a 45KG gas bottel, cut the top off this will give me 1000mm hight then fill it with kiln dryed sand topped off with a one inch rubber pad disc to stop sand coming back at you and then sinking it in the floor :D

what do you think?

a definite NO to your last suggestion of using a gas bottle. :D

Think of it like this.

An "empty" cylinder is not truly empty.

What we call empty is actually a gas cylinder of X contents now at atmospheric pressure, so you still have butane or whatever inside at 14.7psi :D

How do you propose to cut it?

Grinder <_<

oxy torch <_<

other :unsure:

You will only risk spoiling your day!!!!!!

I know people sell at markets things made out of gas bottles but do you want to risk it?

a definite NO to your last suggestion of using a gas bottle. :D

Think of it like this.

An "empty" cylinder is not truly empty.

What we call empty is actually a gas cylinder of X contents now at atmospheric pressure, so you still have butane or whatever inside at 14.7psi :D

How do you propose to cut it?

Grinder <_<

oxy torch <_<

other :unsure:

You will only risk spoiling your day!!!!!!

I know people sell at markets things made out of gas bottles but do you want to risk it?

relax I have cut these things up before. We always fill them with water first. we used to make little workshop woodburners out of them.

thanks for your concern.

that reminds me....have you seen my workshop health and safty manual?

If your willing to keep taking these sort of risks then you don't need a workshop health and "safty" manual.

Whats that going to do? fan the flames or take you to hospital :D

Julian.

Re: Baldies suggestion, you could give Carlisle Small Arms Club a call on 01228 573347 Tues/Thurs nights between 19.30- 22.00.

They shoot up to .44Mag on the indoor range at 25mtrs. The other issues l can see would be sound disturbance (depending on how far from any public you are) and vapour extraction if you're intending to fire off several rounds at a time.

l would also go with a shite load of sand having seen 130grn rounds punch 8 out of 10mm of mild steel plate at 200yrds.

Just did a little search (bullet traps) and found this, some of the videos are impressive..... 1 trap is stated as being .338 rated but l wouldn't stand behind that, metaphorically or otherwise :D

www.letargets.com/html/traps.html

eldon. We have a "Near Miss and Close Calls" book here at work... lt comes with a perforated strip so you can tear off a sheat to wipe down the big brown stains and file them under "OOPS!!!!" :D

Only trying to give the uninitiated a better understanding and point out to the initiated their foolishness.

If youve done it before then that makes it ok? doesn't it?

On gas safety courses they show you videos of gas cylinder mis-use. How about a twocked car with oxy acetylene bottles in the back sent down a bank. Not bad effects at the bottom.

My favourite was the liquid oxygen train with leaking delivery pipework. Oxygen and grease is a definite no no. In the middle of the train track is a greasy track/line. While stationary the leak spilled onto this and the track disappeared for about 10' . :D :D

Health and safety hat removed.

Only trying to give the uninitiated a better understanding and point out to the initiated their foolishness.

If youve done it before then that makes it ok? doesn't it?

On gas safety courses they show you videos of gas cylinder mis-use. How about a twocked car with oxy acetylene bottles in the back sent down a bank. Not bad effects at the bottom.

My favourite was the liquid oxygen train with leaking delivery pipework. Oxygen and grease is a definite no no. In the middle of the train track is a greasy track/line. While stationary the leak spilled onto this and the track disappeared for about 10' . :D :D

Health and safety hat removed.

There was a joke email going around about a year ago WHY WOMEN LIVE LONGER THAN MEN. it was about all the stupid things the male would do as part or life. I think the guy on an ali ladder in tne middle of a swimming pool trying to drill a hole in the roof with the extetion cable very close to the water was a good one.

back to the subject of safty, words like:

don't try this at home

unless you know what you are doing... a bit like reloading.

we should be more serious, only the other day I ate a yogart that was a day out of date from the fridge!

Has anyone else done anything so stupid and lived to wear the T shirt?

I have lived life on the edge for so long.

2 years ago fell from a 2 story roof through the rafters, slide the whole way down, grappeling at the wall trying to get a grip, landed at the bottom with only a broken tail bone (which was sorer than I thought it would be) and the ends of my fingers were a bloody mess. Last year out on my Downhill bike on my own in the forest, hit a tree head on going pretty much flat out around a losse corner, had my full face helmet but still lost my memory for over an hour, didnt know how to get home or where I had parked, thought I was clean f@"%ed but managed to make it home after wandering around the woods for an hour, ended up with a broken collarbone as well and a few other damaged bits, took me a week to feel normal again, I was lucky I was wearing a full face helmet cause the helmet was completely shattered, saved my life I reckon, still have it in the bikeroom to remind me of it.

2 years ago fell from a 2 story roof through the rafters, slide the whole way down, grappeling at the wall trying to get a grip, landed at the bottom with only a broken tail bone (which was sorer than I thought it would be) and the ends of my fingers were a bloody mess. Last year out on my Downhill bike on my own in the forest, hit a tree head on going pretty much flat out around a losse corner, had my full face helmet but still lost my memory for over an hour, didnt know how to get home or where I had parked, thought I was clean f@"%ed but managed to make it home after wandering around the woods for an hour, ended up with a broken collarbone as well and a few other damaged bits, took me a week to feel normal again, I was lucky I was wearing a full face helmet cause the helmet was completely shattered, saved my life I reckon, still have it in the bikeroom to remind me of it.

it just wasn't your time :D

I have had a lot of offroad and road motorbikes and once was out practicing on a Gasgas 250.

The hill in question was only 8' tall but vertical. Tried it a few times but wanted it spot on.

Next thing I knows I'm home and said to the wife "I'll just go put my bike away?"

To which she said "you've said that 3 times and its already away!"

With hindsight she should have taken me to the hospital, but I went to bed.

It was only the next day when I went back that I realised with the marks on the floor what had happened. Like you craigyboy knocked myself senseless and road back on the road, couldn't remember any of it.

Then there was the time when my mate on his 1000 was travelling quickly? ;) back home at midnight and I was on my 600. No competition at all.

I was flat out doing about ?mph and held it, knew he would back off for the bridge and hump.

Past him on the back wheel, should have seen his face.

What an adrenaline buzz, :D I was hyper for an hour.

Only needed a fox or something to finish it, sold my bikes now and got rifles as they are safer and cheaper :D;)

Archived