tds recticle

james todd

TBH I had one for a while. But like everything that is generic it's a guide only.

At night under a lamp things happen too quickly to be any use. Day use is somewhat better, but unless your shooting deer etc then it's not accurate enough. All it tends to do is clutter up the sight picture.

It's a bit like the drop info given by range finding bins. Because you can't program your data, it's generic to the calibre and therefore as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

ATB

Could I please have opinions on tds recticle ...I ahoot fox mainly in lamp but daytime aswell and the scope is 6-18-50 swaro

Plenty of info on this if you google it.

Essentially,it's like most generic ranging reticules-dependent on your ballistics,the cross hatches will be the impact points at 2,3,4 etc hundred yards.As said already,you won't need this for night shooting as range will not exceed say 200y,and for longer shots in good light,you still have to somehow figure hold over,or dial in-targets don't appear just at exact hundred yard intervals!

Dialing in is more precise,if a little slower,and the lines give some help to wind,as long as it is a 10mph one....

Nothing to lose by having it,but no replacement for dialing.I don't find the lines confuse,since the main cross hair is quite clear.

Say your target is 368 yards away- two of your lines will be for 300 and 400-so correct hold is 'a bit nearer the 400 y line -hardly a recipe for precision.....but better perhaps than 'I'll just hold about 28 inches high'!

Clicking in is the way to go-but you need to know your clicks "368y is 48 clicks up"

Gbal

I have several Swarovskis with this reticule and like them very much. The TDS-4 reticule is a far more useful guide than many others seem to think. It's just a matter of whether or not you take the time to get to know how to use it on your chosen rifle...

I have several Swarovskis with this reticule and like them very much. The TDS-4 reticule is a far more useful guide than many others seem to think. It's just a matter of whether or not you take the time to get to know how to use it on your chosen rifle...

TBH I got to know it very intimately. I even modified the power settings to match the ballistic profile better. I fired many thousands of rounds fine tuning and testing, just getting to know this reticle. Then again you have said the magic word...guide. Shooting small, at ranges other than those pre-set, needs more than "guide" to do the job. Deer size works ok, fox/vermin means a miss or worse.

The concept is reasonable but the reality is that for small pinpoint accuracy, (that required for foxing or vermin beyond 200m) then it's not very good.

ATB

So what recticle would eveeyone choose for mr fox ?

It's subjective-so the one you like!

At 200y and at night,you don't probably want anything complex,though at other times you might! You may/not need/want an expensive dedicated night/fox scope,and you will not need many of the top scope advantages (accurate turrets etc)-you may think perceived clarity in the glass is worth he cost.If at all possible,try under field conditions first.

Gbal

I have been looking at a 6-18x50 swaro with tds for 800 ish[/quote

If you like it,under field conditions,fine.

You won't be shooting fox at 800,and any target in the field is likely to be 764,or 845 yards etc-if calibrated accurately,your 800 line will be well off for those,but might enable you to walk shots in.......especially if you know your clicks from the nearest calibrated line.

Don't overlook your worst enemy-wind..

Gbal

i use one pal its a top scope,as said above if you find a load that fits in with the drop lines they can be bang on,if i be truth full in the may be 7 years i have used it i have hit more targets due to that certain reticle,but i don't 80 precent of the time use the cross hair as i am supposed to .atb simon

Thanks for all the replies ...if worst comes to the worst swarovski will change the recticle

Good point-I was quoted about £150 all in by Leupold for a reticule change-at least it gives some choice/safety net,as you say.

Gbal

Isn't the TDS reticle 2nd focal plane in Swarovski scopes?

If so, only useful at ONE magnification and off at all others.

What magnification depends on your cartridge/ bullet.

Used a Zeiss 6-24x 2nd focal Rapid Z - only close fit (but not perfect) at 17x. Not exactly practical.

The Swaro software let's you choose the zoom level when you create the charts. I have 3 or 4 charts for different zooms for each bullet and load. So I can set the zoom to 30x and have the second bar be 300m then zoom out to 15x and have the second bar be 600m, etc for the same bullet.

I find it a really versatile system but as always YMMV.

DPost

All I want from my reticule is to give a good sight picture. I also like SFP rather than FFP.

Foxes are either shot at point blank, under 200m, or if at longer range you have time to dial in. Non of the ladder systems work any better than knowing you drop and aiming off if you know your ammunition. Best to know your target size and what 6 inches is too. What you do on a range is quite different to what can be done in the field.

I wouldn't give up on a great scope with ladder reticule if cheap enough.

The exception is with FFP combat scopes where a couple of lines can get you faster on a fleeting target; buts because the targets are bigger and you can use all 30 rounds!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived