.223 bullets for munties

kent

Anyone do a lot of munties with a .223 rem. Mate wants to know what bullet all I could say was sako game head or Nosler 60 grn partition. Although an experienced stalker I have never shot munties as there are none up here. Any ideas on a bullet and load - it want be long range btw just usual woodland stuff he has a 1-9

They're tough little buggers, once shot a revved up buck at 30y with a 6mm 55gn bt, destroyed the heart, he made it 50y and changed directions 3 times! .22 will kill them, but you will get runners, i mostly pin the shoulders on them now, not much to waste and its better than loosing them. Id use a deer bullet if i were you, and be prepared to look for them!!

Thanks for the responces thus far guys. Ronny, interested to which 50grn varminter bullets and those pics , Your 225yds range decreases your impact speed mind you and if its not a particulary hot load to begin with can you tell me the speed and your average range so I might deduce ? He is not up to such a range and we could certainly call 100yds the limit. Offroad Garry, all deer can run on heart shots sometimes I wonder how they have, normally its about adrenalin levels, bumped deer well on the alert you can almost guarantee it, relaxed unaware brousers will likely as not drop. Achosenman, I like gamekings and pro-hunters in other cals and your findings are interesting- don't know if he could get Swift bullets in time for his trip let alone have time for development

Kent- when and if you get to skin your first munty buck i guarantee you will be surprised at the strength and thickness of the hide/skin, i would definately avoid low weigh varmint bullets. And remember, it takes a brave dog to go after a wounded munty buck, and an even braver (stupider) owner to separate the pair when it all gets a bit hectic- seen it a couple of times now and it certainly gets the blood up!!!

i dont have a 223 BUT i do use Sierra gamekings 55gr .224 dia, in my 22.250

have shot loads of muntjac with it head and chest shot

most go down on the spot but every now and then they will run on a bit maybe 25/30 yds

most of my stalking is in dense woodland, so if they were to run on 50/70 yds i wouldn't use these on muntjac

and i find meat damage is more than exceptable

all of my shots are 100yds or bellow

Thanks for the responces thus far guys. Ronny, interested to which 50grn varminter bullets and those pics , Your 225yds range decreases your impact speed mind you and if its not a particulary hot load to begin with can you tell me the speed and your average range so I might deduce ? He is not up to such a range and we could certainly call 100yds the limit. Offroad Garry, all deer can run on heart shots sometimes I wonder how they have, normally its about adrenalin levels, bumped deer well on the alert you can almost guarantee it, relaxed unaware brousers will likely as not drop. Achosenman, I like gamekings and pro-hunters in other cals and your findings are interesting- don't know if he could get Swift bullets in time for his trip let alone have time for development

No probs. Reloading Solutions have 200 60gn Nosler Partition in stock and 100 75gn Swift Scirocco in when I phoned a few minutes ago.

With your mates 1-9 barrel I would try the 55gn SP Game King or the 60gn Nosler Partition.

I would suggest that because the range is short you will need a stout bullet due to the high impact velocity, so my first choice would be a Partition. With 200 on offer, there is enough to work up a load and stalk afterwards.

ATB

Kent- when and if you get to skin your first munty buck i guarantee you will be surprised at the strength and thickness of the hide/skin, i would definately avoid low weigh varmint bullets. And remember, it takes a brave dog to go after a wounded munty buck, and an even braver (stupider) owner to separate the pair when it all gets a bit hectic- seen it a couple of times now and it certainly gets the blood up!!!

its not me who will be shooting them

These bullets >>> http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=1340&bullettype=0 at 3030fps at the muzzle. I will look for the photos later.

You can confirm the findings with these bullets with DazB, he has been present when I have used them and also witnessed the damage to muntie carcasses. From my first hand experiences they are an excellent muntie bullet.

thanks Blizkings easy enough to get, you have shot some close ones with these I assume?

These bullets >>> http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=1340&bullettype=0 at 3030fps at the muzzle. I will look for the photos later.

You can confirm the findings with these bullets with DazB, he has been present when I have used them and also witnessed the damage to muntie carcasses. From my first hand experiences they are an excellent muntie bullet.

thanks Blizkings easy enough to get, you have shot some close ones with these I assume?

No probs. Reloading Solutions have 200 60gn Nosler Partition in stock and 100 75gn Swift Scirocco in when I phoned a few minutes ago.

With your mates 1-9 barrel I would try the 55gn SP Game King or the 60gn Nosler Partition.

I would suggest that because the range is short you will need a stout bullet due to the high impact velocity, so my first choice would be a Partition. With 200 on offer, there is enough to work up a load and stalk afterwards.

ATB

well I am in the Trough of Bowland and he is in North wales I don't think either of us will be able to collect and being expanding...........

Archived