New to the forum

njc110381

Hi guys. I was given a link to the forum by another member so I thought I'd join and say hello. I've not long got my FAC so I'm here to learn the ropes. Hopefully I can give a little advice at times too, as I'm picking up quite a bit from my mentor who's teaching me the ins and outs of Deer stalking as well as general safety rules. My main shooting is pest control, Rabbits, Crows etc. I've been an air gunner for 15 years and also have a little experience with shotguns. Anyway, I wont ramble on. Speak to you all soon I'm sure.

Cheers, Neil

Hi guys. I was given a link to the forum by another member so I thought I'd join and say hello. I've not long got my FAC so I'm here to learn the ropes. Hopefully I can give a little advice at times too, as I'm picking up quite a bit from my mentor who's teaching me the ins and outs of Deer stalking as well as general safety rules. My main shooting is pest control, Rabbits, Crows etc. I've been an air gunner for 15 years and also have a little experience with shotguns. Anyway, I wont ramble on. Speak to you all soon I'm sure.

Cheers, Neil

welcome Nick,

its a proper site this one :lol:

Paul

Cheers Dave :lol::lol:

Loads of replys coming in, cheers for the welcome! I'm not sure I'll be as keen as some to find a super accurate setup, I'm a pretty poor shot so I doubt I'll ever need anything that fine tuned. What I'm looking for is sub MOA from my 6.5x55 stalking rifle. It's a Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless, with a S&B 8x56 on top. It will have a Wildcat mod on it soon, but I've just spent all my money on a custom 10/22 so it may have to wait for a bit! What do you guys on here class as good accuracy then?

That sounds fair to me. At my current standard I will only shoot to 100 yards. I'll have to put some time in to try and improve that. When air gunning I used the 2p rule, I could hit one at 45 yards on a still day so that was my limit. With a real gun (HMR, 6.5) I'm better, I can do it at 100 yards every time. I know Deer have a larger kill zone, and I'm fairly sure I could get into 4" at 300 yards, but they make me nervous because I haven't got much experience. I get the shakes when I line up on one, which is a bit of a bugger. I'd rather leave a shot than fluff it up, and getting closer is the best part of a stalk to me. Hunting with a rifle will never beat a day in the field with my airgun, lining up on a 15 yard Rabbit is the best feeling I've ever had ;)

The shaking I believe is called buck fever, basically its the adrenalin.

just stick with your own best practice of getting as close as possible to deer before taking the shot, best to limit range to about 150yds max, but it is nice to know that if you have an injured beast out at 300yds that you can not get any closer to for any reason that you can still take the shot.

best advice is just to take your time and only shoot when your ready

Ian

Archived