AE MRK 111 OR CUSTOM BUILD

gunnery

Hi all just testing the water for next time when i am ready to buy another rifle just wondering on peoples thought about what rifle you would buy my kind of shooting like the rest of us i suppose is a bit of deer bashing and long range plinking 400yrds to max 1000yrds with this rifle already have .20tac for foxing so don.t need to take that into account still i would like to stick with .260 maybe could go for 6.5x47 anyway had a price for AE MRK 111 in .260 and also price for custom build not a lot in it but just wondered what you lot would go for i know AE hold there price well if you want to resell anyway any advice would be welcome thanks.

Im not 100% sure this is going to help, but...

Ive had several tactical rifles; B&T APR1, AI AW, HS Precision and now a Blaser Tac 2.

I am also in the fortunate position (or not so fortunate, depending on your viewpoint), to be able to build my own rifles.

My "tactical competition" rifle is a BAT actioned repeater, you may have seen it, 6.5x47, Manners T2 A stock, LW barrel and on a non windy day shoots in the low .3's even after 3000+ rounds.

The rifle is well travelled and has fared me very well at comps and used to take deer when I feel the need for a workout,,

It functions flawlessly, ive never had a bolt jam, misfire or trigger problem - the kind you read about from the severe testing COF which breaks rifles in the Rifles Only 3 day comps..

Now, which rifle would I choose to take with me at a rifles only comp......

Id be happy with the BAT, but happier with an AI...

If you ask me which is better, I think you would have to make up youre own mind on what you really want and stick with it.

A friend of mine (yes I have some), had an AW, he sold it after several barrel changes and years of use and didnt lose much.

I built him a nice 6.5x47 that shoots exceptionally well.

Hes now going back to AI - not because the rifle that he had built was bad, he just wants the reasurance that an AI gives....

I love the BAT, I could build a "rugged" copy of a TANGO 51 - a rifle that is pure class and be very happy, but there would be niggles in the back of my head over reliablity when it got into cruddy conditions.

I dont keep my rifles out the elements, theyre there to use in all conditions.

The BAT is good, but if I were to be pressed, id say buy an AI..

Bet your brains a mess now :lol:

Ronin thanks for your honest reply you cant get better than that from a man who builds your own rifles can i ask you when you say A1 is that a AW or AE i beleive there is no difference in accuracy is that true thanks

Hi guys

I have recently been out with a mate who's just got a ae in 260 and I'm very impressed with it!

Less then 50 rnds in working up a load with 140g amax it's hammering bug holes with almost every charge !

Wouldn't have been on my radar but bar the stock which o feel is built for girls hands it's a awsome bit of kit!

What I dint say Gunnery, was that the custom will aslways have the edge on accuracy...

Ronin thanks for your honest reply you cant get better than that from a man who builds your own rifles can i ask you when you say A1 is that a AW or AE i beleive there is no difference in accuracy is that true thanks

The person to answer that in detail is Rob (long range capt)as he has a broad collection of AWs and AEs

Although, I can say I had a good run out with his 6.5 AE the other day, and in handling and use it was absolutely indistinguishable from an AW. Very nice.

I would go custom personally , I have very large hands and find the accuracy thumb hole forces too much of my trigger finger through the trigger guard for my liking but the AI stuff is extremely well proven ?

For me it would be a 260 in a McMillan A5 set up to shoot the 140amax 22" barrel if you want to stalk more than target but I'd have the barrel longer if your planning on a lot of long range targets ?

Hi all just testing the water for next time when i am ready to buy another rifle just wondering on peoples thought about what rifle you would buy my kind of shooting like the rest of us i suppose is a bit of deer bashing and long range plinking 400yrds to max 1000yrds with this rifle already have .20tac for foxing so don.t need to take that into account still i would like to stick with .260 maybe could go for 6.5x47 anyway had a price for AE MRK 111 in .260 and also price for custom build not a lot in it but just wondered what you lot would go for i know AE hold there price well if you want to resell anyway any advice would be welcome thanks.

Next time your at Diggle have a go with my AW and see that you think, it's the same bolt so you should get an idea if you want an AE or not.

I went with the AW because I like military rifles and they hold their value very well, if you bought S/H you would not lose any money at all if you found one at the right price.

£1800 for an AE and £2800 for the AW seems to be about the price the go for S/H

thanks for all your replys fellas and thanks chris for the offer very kind of you i will do that when we next meet and for accuracy ronin i take your point i will stick with the .260

you dont even need to go "full custom" to get that kind of accuracy, a re-barrel and decent stock on a half decent factory action will get you fantastic accuracy - for not too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yes i agree a mate of mine as a remy action 6.5x47 trueflight very accurate for half the price i think we all know you dont need to spend lots of money to have decent accuracy but its also about owning a rifle what you have always wanted or dreamed about owning but i do agree with you but its a good job we dont all go that route there would be a lot of people in the trade looking for work if we all owned remy actions semi custom rifles at half the cost of a full blown custom

The person to answer that in detail is Rob (long range capt)as he has a broad collection of AWs and AEs

Although, I can say I had a good run out with his 6.5 AE the other day, and in handling and use it was absolutely indistinguishable from an AW. Very nice.

I’m sure Long range capt will chip in at some point and as Brown Dog said he has a tribe of AI and purchased an AE mk1 same time as I did.

However my experience, I sold my AE Mk1 .308 last year after thousands of rounds, I think it was a factory Lothar Walther barrel and was superbly accurate and most importantly consistent, holding half MOA all day. I actually think the trigger was better on the AE Mk1 than my current AE mk3, although that might just be individual rifle characteristics, not that the current AE has a poor trigger by any means, it was just crisper on the Mk1. I replaced it with ..... surprise surprise another AE, a Mk3 this time.

However to balance the view, I did go down the custom route, I own a superb full custom rifle based on a Remington 700 6BR made by Brock and Norris (aka Janner) full blueprinted, pillar bedded, jewel trigger in an A3 stock, bartline barrel.

Looking back I honestly believe the 6 br is more accurate out too 600 meters but if the winds up it loses out to 6.5x47, unfortunately bad wind is a phenomenon we have in the UK often...

but when it was calm it grouped amazingly well at long range better than the 6.5 x 47.

When I ordered my AE Mk3 last year I speced it in 6.5x47. It has the same bolt and 3 position safety as the AW, the action is smooth as silk and I’ve not been disappointed, I also have small girly hands so stock fits fine. From what I understand .260 is very similar to 6.5x47 but has a bit more powder capacity, you cant go far wrong with either. However my only regret is not ordering an AW when I had the chance! This is not due to the AE being any less accurate than an AW because they are identical having shot both. I just have always wanted an AW! So I’m now about to order one! Thank god AI hold value well!

I'm waiting for the “I told you so posts”.

To summarise the custom was more accurate and lighter but it didn’t have all the attributes and heritage the AI did. It depends what you are after. Hope that helps, Sorry about the essay.

Dan.

Trouble with going custom , is some times ( happens more than any would like to believe ) , the rifle is not built that well as it has no single maker but a mix of different companies making action , stock , mags etc , as well as sometimes the custom actions are new and have not had much in the way of design or testing due to smaller size of the custom company .

You will have a lot less trouble IF you are after a turn key type experience , with a main stream manufacturer , I know thats not what you wanted too hear .

Go with AI or similar , and I donot think you will be disappointed .

Simply much less risk of being dissapointed going with a main stream maker in my view .

Bear in mind I have custom rifles built on Surgeons & Badgers , as well as AI rifles etc .

Later Chris

thanks Dan534 and Chrisf what i think is good about the AI is a known fact is they seem to hold there resaleable value better than most custom rifles so thanks for your input

Building something very close to this,

http://www.gaprecision.net/mil-spec-rifles/m40a3.html

would be very interesting in 260. I would imagine it would also hold value as well as it's not built to just your needs and wants and would interest a wider group of people if you could do it as close to spec as possible.

Crusader all the way for me !

Im not sure in normal UK (competition, stalking , working) conditions anyone would notice the difference bettween a factor, semi custom or full custom rifle.

If youre dragging the rifle through sand, or any kind of crap to deploy on an operation where your life depended on the thing working, then yes, there would be only one choice for me (AI)

For the record, i'd go for the AX personally, because I never got along with the AW stock.

The second hand sale thing, its about perception - people want to "buy into" the sniper rifle kudos, " hey ive got an AI" that makes me have some credibility......

Any of the tac rifles or builds will do what you want, but its down to personal choice ultimately.

If I could put an AW action into the Blaser Tac 2 stock I'd have the perfect rifle (for me)

I cant, so life will always be a compromise....

I would imagine that build spec cost would exceed the cost of an AI by some margin . Cool as a snowmans a**e though. I doubt if it would be as rugged a rifle as the AIAW ??

Gunnery,

They are still advertising Lefty AW rifles as being available shortly 260 available too. I would dearly love one myself but not possible right now.

i'm thinking along lines of delta 51 or tango 51, just need to find a competant smith with vision and penchant for Plagiarism.

http://www.snipercentral.com/tangobuy.htm

I don't think a trued R700 with a decent barrel, thicker recoil lug, Nightforce rings and bases, a badger bolt knob and a Sako varmint stock is a particularly difficult spec to replicate?

I don't think a trued R700 with a decent barrel, thicker recoil lug, Nightforce rings and bases, a badger bolt knob and a Sako varmint stock is a particularly difficult spec to replicate?

its all about getting the colour right!

As to me , nope , I donot care at all about RESALE value , as 1) I donot intend to sell them ever & 2 ) will be buying MORE AI rifles , not LESS .

Opps , is that just ME ???

Need an excuse to buy more AI rifles , will , I donot have one in 6.5mm or 7mmm RM , Opps , so there is a gap there .

Later Chris

RE : The AX series , too me only makes sense in 338LM , in 308 , nope , using a FN/AK rock in method for mag changes for a 308 version , NOT for me .

Archived