Custom Rifle Build

Guest Smeagle

Guest Smeagle

Okay I have the quote, better than I expected to be honest.

I will have the ACI and the PM 2 in the 4x16 by 42 I did not realise that they did it in that configuration but that is exactly what I want. We have a lot of sunlight and this gives me a nice low profile which I prefer so low rings I like the bell to just clear. If I need to change it it will be to a higher magnification and that would be a NF NXS in which case I would also change the rings, is the tube on this modal 30 mm or 36 mm. I am assuming that the reticule is illuminated.

What colour is the bead blasted barrel, I want it dark, if it is a pale grey then something needs to be done about it, the action is dark grey, charcoal in colour and I want it the same or similar colour.

The stock is to be in cam, flectron in desert colours. The top safety is it the same as that cheap and nasty Remington crappy job they put on or is it a bit better. If it is the same something needs to be done about it.

Tell me about the slings that you have. Also if you would be so kind as to put up a summary of the build thus far.

Guest varmartin

Graham,

I have been following this thread and must say it has made some very interesting reading so far.

Cant wait to read the next instalment and a viewing of some of the components of this custom build as they are collected ;)

Martin

Graham,

A bead blasted barrel on it's own will look a bit 'white', but usually we work one over with some different varieties penetrating gun oils and a bit of 000 Steel wool, it turns to a darkish Grey, and can get it to charcoalish..This is usually done after the barrel is fitted, so might want to discuss with Pete if you would like it painted as well..Not sure his colour options, but he has some hard wearing variants.

JR

Guest Smeagle

That sounds the way to go, so the barrel is pretty much sorted a Border 26 inch, 1 in 8 twist 5R fluted, with bead blasting that has been darkened either by rubbing down or with a coating. Sweet.

Whats next.

Hi Smeagle,

Pete did a rifle for me last year, stainless LW barrel and

ceracoated it. That stuff is a realy hard wearing paint. Think it

gets baked and looks really good, I even joked and asked if

his wife did it. The other option would have been a Ceramic

coating which is or was a bit more expensive. I thought the

paint could be touched up if it got scuffed. Up to now no scratch,

even after a couple of tumbles in the hills.

edi

ps. a friend of mine fired my rifle and put three bullets in a hole,

he orderd a rifle from pete..

Guest Smeagle

That's good to know, I really dislike the stainless finish, personal choice. I had a rifle coated in Teflon and was on the range with it yesterday and it p####d it down, put it back in a wet bag and drove home, stopped at a mates for a chin wag. Got home and towelled it off not a mark. It really is the way to go.

This sounds promising.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Smeagle

Hi Jay sorry for not answering but yes it has been raining, at long last. Now if we can just get it to stop. :lol: Only kidding we need all we can get.

Been away for a few days at the Melbourne shot show, all that is new and good and a hammering on the Credit card, you wouldn't expect anything less of me would you. :P

Well down to business, had another look on the Manners web site, they have a few new pictures up, and erm major snag, the fore end of the stocks are beaver tail design.

I detest this design with a passion and they are a definite no go, so unless they can trim it down a bit they are out.

Far to wide for my grubby little paws I am afraid, I don't know why they insist on doing this it has no practical purpose on a sporting rifle and means it is hard to shoot off hand.

Fashion is fashion, but not everyone shoots from a bi pod.

Regards Graham

• 2 weeks later...
Guest A-max
Well down to business, had another look on the Manners web site, they have a few new pictures up, and erm major snag, the fore end of the stocks are beaver tail design.

I detest this design with a passion and they are a definite no go, so unless they can trim it down a bit they are out.

Far to wide for my grubby little paws I am afraid, I don't know why they insist on doing this it has no practical purpose on a sporting rifle and means it is hard to shoot off hand.

Regards Graham

Graham,

Have you decided on what stock for your build yet?

Guest Smeagle

Haven't thought about it to be honest, still waiting for a reply. I need to see what the manners is really like if the fore end is really really wide then it is a no go or I will go for a prone varmint rifle and it will be the GAT stock, other than that it may be back to McMillian which I would rather avoid if possible as they are a pain to deal with and the colour palate is not what I want.

So it maybe a GAT after all, in which case the rifle will be a varmint/range rifle.

Lets face it, this is a custom rifle which means that I am supposed to get what I want, I have no intention of compromising on things and if I can't get what I want then I will change the entire project to get a rifle that suites my needs.

Guest Smeagle

Pretty much mate, I would prefer the Manners but if it doesn't fit then it is out, so I have requested the dimensions of the fore end.

This thing that the manufacturers have about fat fore ends really gets my goat, why for what purpose, to increase stability while firing from a bag, well who uses a bag in the field, only people who don't walk or carry a rifle. It is fine on a bench-rest rifle but on a sporter it is useless and only serves to add weight and bulk, also it is uncomfortable to the point of near impossible to shoot while standing as you can't get a good grip on the thing. Sporting rifles have slim fore ends for a reason, does the AI L96 have a big fat fore end, no. Because it is neither needed or wanted.

Just fashion, nothing else. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mention flooding, !!!

So the stocks settled then Graham? Manners MSC T.

as you know the production Avenger is now the same screw hole spacing as the Rem 700's, this enables the use of Remington stocks by simply milling out the corners of the round inlett. and enables the use of mag systems that will fit the Rem 700. The action is longer but the integral recoil lug is in around the same place as it would be on a remmy, hence it its not much of an inletting job to widen the slot for the lug.

The hole spacing and dimension of the Avenger reciever is going to make a very wide selection of stocks available to anyone wanting a custom action now eh ;)

Thats the Idea Andy.

Ive just put 2 into AICS stocks. one's a .308win and the other a .338 lap mag. these 2 are pre production, with the round tang, the productions have a slightly longer squarer tang.

The one i realy like is the stinger, we've just done a 6.5x284 drop port. and its sweeet oh so sweet..

Pictures to whet the appetite?

Guest Smeagle

Yeah I would like to see a action in a stock if at all possible and an example of this flec cam in desert colours as well.

Yeah I would like to see a action in a stock if at all possible and an example of this flec cam in desert colours as well.

Ive got 4 in .408cheytac in the pipeline that will be in desert flecktarn, but thats the rather larger action that is also designed for .50BMG, looks same, just bigger.

get pics asap,

Archived