i think i may have shot myself in the foot

1967spud

Is anybody shooting the 7mm shehane having any sucess with r17 or is it a case off, Tried it and gone back to 4831sc

Dam it

i know of only 1 guy using it in the shehane and having good success ,its good for the stright 284 as you need it to get up to 2950 fps but the shehane will get thier with h4350 or h4831sc ,you will easy sell it if it dont work theres quite a few straight 284 shooters on the league

i am not saying it wont work but i tried in every barrel i have and it aint worked in any of them ,it gives ok accuaracy but it aint hammering like h4831sc its the best out of all the powders i have tested

I've just finished testing fireformed Shehane brass with both 4831SC and Rel 17.

With reloader 17 the velocities were impressive 3070 fps with 55 grains. Problem was ES were a bit erratic with one or 2 shots per string going way out.

4831SC was a lot more uniform and the worst ES I got was 15 fps.

In the end I opted for a charge of 58 grains with a 180 Berger which gave a velocity of 2930 fps with an ES of 10 fps.

Will try it at Diggle.

Cheers

Dave

i know of only 1 guy using it in the shehane and having good success ,its good for the stright 284 as you need it to get up to 2950 fps but the shehane will get thier with h4350 or h4831sc ,you will easy sell it if it dont work theres quite a few straight 284 shooters on the league

i am not saying it wont work but i tried in every barrel i have and it aint worked in any of them ,it gives ok accuaracy but it aint hammering like h4831sc its the best out of all the powders i have tested

Thanks Grant now crying in to me tea.

I've just finished testing fireformed Shehane brass with both 4831SC and Rel 17.

With reloader 17 the velocities were impressive 3070 fps with 55 grains. Problem was ES were a bit erratic with one or 2 shots per string going way out.

4831SC was a lot more uniform and the worst ES I got was 15 fps.

In the end I opted for a charge of 58 grains with a 180 Berger which gave a velocity of 2930 fps with an ES of 10 fps.

Will try it at Diggle.

Cheers

Dave

This is getting worse by the post, and the dog has just bitten me.

4831 sc on order

Grant, how did you find the temperature sensitivity of 4831sc?

My load was developed on a cool day of 14 degrees, obviously this time of the year it shouldn't be a problem.

On a warm/hot day to velocities increase much and would the load need to be reduced?

Cheers

Dave

When is Spudzilla due Mark.

When you develope fireforming loads I found 56.5 grains of 4831SC was good.

What bullets have you got.

I'm using up some 180 hunting VLD's but just had a delivery of some Hybrids which I will try after Diggle.

By the way does anyone know where they like to be in relation to the lands?

I was thinking of a jump of .015"

Cheers

Dave

the temp sen of h4831sc is excellent never had to adjust from scotland freezing winter to bisley summer never had a issue - ,and 15 jump is were i shoot mine any were from 10 to 20 jump is all good ,so i set mine in the middle

Neil is having a look at my weapon on monday . And hopefully he'll build the gun at the same time i think.

I will be fire forming with 52 g r17 for two reasons 1. to use up some r17 and secondly to save on the 4831sc . There is a small chance that isf the r17 doesnt work well fforming ill "cream" the fireforming.

The r17 seems to work well in a f forming load and i cant see a reason to use it at that stage.

As for bullets ive got a few (2000) vld's here in the 180 g flavour. Which i imagine ill start by touching and then back of a10 thou and see what happens.

Try 52 grains of Rel 17 as a fireforming load,its one Bill Shehane recommends, it gave 2920 fps in my gun with ok accuracy ES was around 35.

However that was the match load in my old straight .284 and it ran an ES of 15 and propelled a 175 SMK @ 2970 fps.

Cheers

Dave

Try 52 grains of Rel 17 as a fireforming load,its one Bill Shehane recommends, it gave 2920 fps in my gun with ok accuracy ES was around 35.

However that was the match load in my old straight .284 and it ran an ES of 15 and propelled a 175 SMK @ 2970 fps.

Cheers

Dave

Keep up ole boy.

Keep up ole boy.

Must be my age Spud just had a diagnosis of Bulaemic Altzheimers!

I've been eating loads then forgeting to throw up :o

By the way did I tell you that 52 grains makes a good fireforming load :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Must be my age Spud just had a diagnosis of Bulaemic Altzheimers!

I've been eating loads then forgeting to throw up :o

By the way did I tell you that 52 grains makes a good fireforming load :lol:

Cheers

Dave

you silly arse.

52 you say mmm never thought about that much

spud if you shoot the vld start 15 in thats were the vlds worked best for me ,never done re-duced load fireforming appart my first 100 cases now i shoot my fireforming with my match loads and shoot comps and my primer pockets are still tight after over 12-14 reloads dont see the need to reduce load them your just wasting barrel life ,i am sure you gunsmith will be happy thou lol

spud if you shoot the vld start 15 in thats were the vlds worked best for me ,never done re-duced load fireforming appart my first 100 cases now i shoot my fireforming with my match loads and shoot comps and my primer pockets are still tight after over 12-14 reloads dont see the need to reduce load them your just wasting barrel life ,i am sure you gunsmith will be happy thou lol

Not tried using 58 grains of 4831sc in fireforming loads.

Will have to see if it fits in the unformed case.

Cheers

Dave

Archived