RPA or Semi Custom?

Tikka

Hi All,

I'm just thinking about my next rifle, which I would like to shoot out to 1000 yard ranges.

Not sure about the caliber yet, possibly a 6.5mm.

Having recently shot a mates RPA in 6mmPPC it got me thinking about whether I should be looking

at a used RPA with the possibility of re-barrel, or would I get a better rifle with a donor action (Sako, Tikka, Rem 700), re-barrel re-trigger and re-stock?

What are your thoughts on this?

I would have thought that by the time you have got a factory action trued up and sorted then a custom action would be no more expensive. Having said that I have shot a very accurate semi custom 6.5x55 on a Sako 75, got a feeling you may have also shot this rifle.

Personally I would go custom.

A

ive just got a secondhand rpa i go pick it up soon as my ticket comes back for a 1 for 1. i got it secondhand at a good price. it has only fired around 550 rounds so the 22/250 still got a good bit of life in it.

the are a couple of marks on the stock but thats no trouble is will get sprayed by a mate of mine who owns his own car spraying place so will do a cracking job on the stock. in whatever pattern i want.

i went for it as the action and stock and trigger system is worth abit of dosh. and got a good choice for rebarrel in the future, more then likely 243 or 243 ai

Hi All,

I'm just thinking about my next rifle, which I would like to shoot out to 1000 yard ranges.

Not sure about the caliber yet, possibly a 6.5mm.

Having recently shot a mates RPA in 6mmPPC it got me thinking about whether I should be looking

at a used RPA with the possibility of re-barrel, or would I get a better rifle with a donor action (Sako, Tikka, Rem 700), re-barrel re-trigger and re-stock?

What are your thoughts on this?

My own view is I am not over keen on the RPA action.

Although I know many who have them and they make an accurate rifle.

Personally, I would opt for a used Tikka or Rem 700 - the Sako will cost more to buy.

The Tikka has an advantage over the Rem in that its trigger needs next to no work to be perfect, the Rem has the advantage that aftermarket stocks are plentiful in variety.

All are easy to re-barrel and should give equally as accurate rifles as end products.

Archived