Off centre rifle scope

Not so much of a problem - at the moment - as the rifle is shooting almost one hole at 100 yards, but it is something which is playing on my mind.

Remington 700, Warne bases and rings, Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

From my current zero I can turn 194 clicks to the right, but only 77 clicks to the left!

There is only 10 clicks in the up/down click variation from zero so that's not an issue.

I can vaguely remember reading once upon a time that to get the best out of a scope it should be as optically centered as possible (can't find a link, probably searching for the wrong terms). This isn't the case with my windage adjustments :rolleyes:

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on this subject?

I assume you are talking about the vertical elevation turret on top and not the windage one on the right side. You should not have anywhere near as much windage adjustment as elevation adjustment.

Assuming I am right I would not worry about it, the extra elevation is needed for longer distances so a zero near the bottom of the scale is desirable.

If you have mega windage adjustment and only 10 on elevation something is very wrong with the turret. I assume you have got the windage turret on the right hand side of the action as you stand behind the rifle?.

A

Not so much of a problem - at the moment - as the rifle is shooting almost one hole at 100 yards, but it is something which is playing on my mind.

Remington 700, Warne bases and rings, Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

From my current zero I can turn 194 clicks to the right, but only 77 clicks to the left!

There is only 10 clicks in the up/down click variation from zero so that's not an issue.

I can vaguely remember reading once upon a time that to get the best out of a scope it should be as optically centered as possible (can't find a link, probably searching for the wrong terms). This isn't the case with my windage adjustments :rolleyes:

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on this subject?

No really sure what to say other than I know exactly where your coming from being in a similar position myself :angry: .

The easiest solution is to purchase some Burris Zee rings and align the scope yourself. This way, with a bit of time and patience you can at least get the windage bob on.

Not quite Al, the problem I have is in the windage department. With this rifle .223 I won't be shooting out to huge distances so elevation isn't a worry, I have more than enough adjustment there.

It's been a long time since I read the article, wish I could find the damn thing now. I think it said that the more centered your optics are, the better they perform. I can go 194 clicks to the right, yet just 77 to the left. If it were split somewhat evenly then the idea was the optics would perform better. How true that is I cannot say.

I know where the problem lies, it's in the rings/bases/how the receiver was drilled. That's a fixable issue. The post is about how the scopes optics work the closer it gets to the edge of it's adjustment range :rolleyes:

Sorry, this is probably all very badly explained lol.

My laymans understanding is if you put the windage turret in the middle, check the scope to bore corrilation, if close the scope is centered over the bore, if way out the scope is not pointing true to the bore affecting accuracy at long range. windage ajustable mounts can correct this or shims in the rings.

If you have only 10 clicks on elevation there is a problem. You should have about 100 minutes from memory (thats 400 clicks) in total.

I would not think Ruag would be a lot of good, probably better mailing the makers direct quoting the serial number. They might tell Ruag to replace it.

A

Legion is getting warmer. Indeed when the scopes windage would be centered it would not be near inline with the bore. That may become an issue at range, though I can't see myself doing much past 400 yards besides plinking clays.

I don't know how else to explain the article. It was about the scope itself, forget the rifle altogether. That the scope itself would perform better optically the more centered it is in it's adjustment range. When I get home again I'll try search again to see what I can dig up, I feel I'm not explaining this too well lol.

This is a common issue, that is why ring and base sets have a windage adjustment at the rear. I have centered all my scopes and is really easy to do. mount scope, center windage adjustment of scope. bore sight at a target at two hundred, check reticule alignment with target, adjust mounts to align scope to bore. You are removing any error between scope and bore, if not done then you have a windage error through out the trajectory of the bullet.

Plus the scope reticule is centered within the scope and therefore under less stress unlike at near max windage adjustment.

I hope that makes sense.

all the best

Archived