10 for 2

charly hunter

Well out again last night with my mate Doug, and another blinder, last Friday night we shot 7 foxes but got caught by the fog so it was early to bed, but last night was brill. We left my place at 18.00 hrs and called in a Jamie's (Silent souls) to have a drool over his new toy and very nice it is too, 32" barrel 300wm awesome I'm sure you will all see pic's soon enough, leaving his at 18.45 hrs with a 20 minute drive to the shooting ground I had in mind for tonight, on arriving I realized I had left the remote control for my lamp in my truck so I said I'd use my Light force 170 out the window and on plugging it in I find out that one of the wire has again become unsoldered, luckily Doug had a lamp with him so all was not lost.

As the sun was setting we had a quick scout about and just as it was dark enough to use a lamp we saw a pair of eyes among the cows as soon as the light hit the fox he got tucked into the middle of the heard, as soon as I saw him do this I knew this was the wise old boy I have been after for a while now. Doug was out in a flash to the back of his truck getting out his 22-250 as soon as he was ready he tapped on the roof and I put the light back on by this time he was heading down a steep hillside and as I move the truck around he doubled back I should have know as he has done this to me before, but this time thing were in my favor, because now when he jumps through the hedge he can no longer disappear in the corn.

So quietly I drive back up the hill and open the gate onto the corn stubble, as I turn into the gateway I get a glimpse of him at about 100 yrs but as Doug not being sure of the lie of the land I had to explain quickly where to and not to shoot, well as it happened Charley boy was in the right place when I put the lamp back on and at 118 yds Doug flattened him. The little 40gr V-Max in his 22-250 works a treat, all the energy was lost in the fox and it was like a sack of jelly.

After a couple of photo's we were on again back to the field where we first saw the fox, at the end of this we saw 3 foxes but only one wanted to play, although they were all in range they were not a safe shot due to a road being behind two of them. I was stood on the back of the truck with Doug as two foxes were beside each other and we were trying to work out if they were foxes or cats as I was looking through the scope Doug caught a fox in the lamp and an easy shot I wanted Doug to shoot it so I past him the rifle and by which time the little bugger did a runner into some dead ground and out to the left through a gate into the next field. After quietly moving to the gateway I lamped the fox out across the field heading up toward the cows, with a loud squeak he stopped with the hill rising behind him he was a very safe shot and a loud bang and a louder slap there was number 2.

Now we decided to start shooting rabbits with the .22 I drove and lamped while Doug did the shooting we just started the first field when I got a glimpse of eyes so quickly turning the lamp out just as Doug was about to shoot a rabbit, "not to worry " I said "I have a bigger target for you, so get your other rifle back out" When Doug was ready I put the lamp on and Charley was good enough to keep fairly still for us. He was 200yds and with no wind to bother about it was just bang slap No.3 What a night and no calling for them.

We continued with the rabbiting now putting the 22-250 hand by just in case, we finished the night at 02.40hrs with Doug smiling like a Cheshire cat as he had shot 3 foxes and 71 rabbits, if he hadn't have run out of ammo we might have still been there to have breakfast with the farmer. It was just one of those nights that everything fell into place and we didn't have to work to hard for it. So the pair of us have had 10 foxes in two nights out......Awsome :D

Sorry no pic's guys Doug took them on his camera as I left mine at home :rolleyes: but even with no pics it was to good a night not to share with you all.

I have been busy pard, just got in from being out with Doug again and he shot this one;

scrawnyal5.jpg

and I had one magpie, the fox was a about 4 year old vixen very small in size and although her coat was in good shape she was a bag of bones. The farmer was over the moon as he lost a goose and a duck ove the weekend.

A very good detailed read C.H and another good result from you lads,we always hav a spare lamp with us because its also hapend to us where a lamp has gone down, hope you lads keep having good success

Archived