220 swift What rifles are out there

I have a 17rem on my lisence but im struggling finding an off the shelf rifle that i like.

i decided that i would get a 220 swift instead but am finding that i am hitting the same problem. I dont want a floor plate mag and it has to be stainless, and descent make eg sako, remington, or that sort of range.

I dont want to start re barrelling as this is a bit too expensive and takes to much time. Im after a calibre thats a bit different than the norm eg .223, 22-250, .243. I do load my own but wouldnt say im an expert, so dont want to be reforming brasses just prefer off the shelf kit.

I have .17hmr .223, 25-06, in my kit at the moment so some thing different would be good, Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

I am afraid you wont find sako or tikka or any of the european makes in this calibre . If you dont want a floor plate mag then well to put it bluntly your f@$%ked. The only real rifles avialable from the major manufacturers are remingtons VSSF which is a stainless steel heavy varminter in an hs precision stock, floor plate magazine, you could buy an HS precision or other bottom metal and replace though. Ruger do there M77 MKII in this calibre, I had one shot really well. Again stainless steel heavy barrel but a floor plate no after market bottom metal. I believe Cooper do this calibre and I have a feeling winchester do as well. Both will be floor plate internal box magazines. The alternative albeit expensive would be an HS precision, which you can stipulate a detachable mag, expect to pay £2500 for one of these and wait forever (Viking arms Useless). VSSF's are not cheap either £1000+, rugers are a little cheaper. This calibre will be special order, if they have none in stock.

Great cartridge and fun to shoot. There is not a lot of choice in firearms I'm afraid. Good luck though.

Cooper are usually single shot rifles. Thats an advantage in my book when looking for best accuracy, with the BOOOM a Swift makes nothing will hang round for a second shot anyway.

A

You might need to compromise slightly in your requirements re floor plate magazines v.synthetic furniture with stainless actions and barrels. Perhaps the nearest overall would be, as already suggested, the Remmy VSSF. I've had a Remmy VS in .220 Swift which was a cracking rifle to shoot, though 'strident' (pre sound mod days). Trigger can be easily sorted or changed. Very accurate to extreme range, but the ammo can be difficult to source, as I found that not all gunshops stocked it - indeed one hadn't heard of the calibre - and those that did have it tended to stock the excellent Norma but at a not so excellent price. Reloading is fine, but uses (relatively) alot of powder. I also found that you had to carefully stack the magazine as there can be feed issues with the 'semi rims' catching on one another and causing a feed jam. Loved the calibre but eventually swapped it for a 22/250, which i found would do everything the 220 Swift would but in an easier to live with package. Just to add another thought, would a semi-custom 6mmBR be possible for something a little 'different'? Regards, Jim

• 2 weeks later...
You might need to compromise slightly in your requirements re floor plate magazines v.synthetic furniture with stainless actions and barrels. Perhaps the nearest overall would be, as already suggested, the Remmy VSSF. I've had a Remmy VS in .220 Swift which was a cracking rifle to shoot, though 'strident' (pre sound mod days). Trigger can be easily sorted or changed. Very accurate to extreme range, but the ammo can be difficult to source, as I found that not all gunshops stocked it - indeed one hadn't heard of the calibre - and those that did have it tended to stock the excellent Norma but at a not so excellent price. Reloading is fine, but uses (relatively) alot of powder. I also found that you had to carefully stack the magazine as there can be feed issues with the 'semi rims' catching on one another and causing a feed jam. Loved the calibre but eventually swapped it for a 22/250, which i found would do everything the 220 Swift would but in an easier to live with package. Just to add another thought, would a semi-custom 6mmBR be possible for something a little 'different'? Regards, Jim

Thanks for those words of wisdom, i have been thinking about the 22-250 road but am thinking i might just keep messing with .223. i just get an itching for a new calibre but dont think i ve given .223 a chance yet.

You have a good spread of calibers to cover most situations so your FEO may be reluctant to give to something else. 223 is a good round and will do 90% of what a Swift will. You do have a bit of a gap between the 223 and the HMR, thought about a 17 Fireball maybe?. 20 Vartarg is better but its not a factory round at present.

A 6BR will do all a Swift will and use far less powder to do it, you will probably need a deer permission.

A

You have a good spread of calibers to cover most situations so your FEO may be reluctant to give to something else. 223 is a good round and will do 90% of what a Swift will. You do have a bit of a gap between the 223 and the HMR, thought about a 17 Fireball maybe?. 20 Vartarg is better but its not a factory round at present.

A 6BR will do all a Swift will and use far less powder to do it, you will probably need a deer permission.

A

I have a 25-06 so getting 6 br shouldnt be a problem. any one got any advice on barrel twist for .223. not over sure on what mine is[sako 3] but it wont stabalize lighter bullets. im running 50grn v max but want to put some 40 through

I have a 25-06 so getting 6 br shouldnt be a problem. any one got any advice on barrel twist for .223. not over sure on what mine is[sako 3] but it wont stabalize lighter bullets. im running 50grn v max but want to put some 40 through

your sako is prob a 1 in 8 but if you go on there site witht he number on the sid eof your rifle. you should be able to find out what year your rifle was made. and what barrel twist

Archived