FAC is back, with .338 Win Mag written on it!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

I just got my FAC in the post. I've got the .338 for Deer and any other lawful quarry on land I have authority to shoot. What a result, this has been bugging me for a month now and I've been itching to find out if they'd allow it.

Now, I'm thinking Ruger M77 Hawkeye as it's heavy. I get the feeling this round is going to kick a bit so the weight will help. Any comments on this rifle?

I should add my thanks to Glos police firearms dept for being sensible and working with the facts on this matter. The number .338 did cause some high pulse rates early on but with a little discussion and explaination they have made an informed and reasonable decision. Something which many others seem to struggle with! I've always said, they're not a bad bunch!

Well done on getting the .338.

I am looking to get my .338 for deer control etc... would you be able to post the wording on the ticket and any other info that might be helpful in allowing other members to try there luck with the firearms licensing office.

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob, is your .338 a Lapua? The one I've got is the Win Mag. It's about 1000ft-lbs behind the Lap Mag and I think that made all the difference?

When I first asked for it they said no. Then I asked why and they said the .338 was causing trouble on the military ranges so I wouldn't be able to shoot it here. I pointed out that the Win Mag isn't quite the same thing as the lapua and sent them some details of both calibres. I asked would you tell someone they couldn't have a .22lr because their ground wasn't suitable for .22-250? They got back to me saying fair enough, send in the FAC.

I've got Deer listed and at the end of all my calibres it says "and any other legal quarry". A Rabbit is "other" and "legal" in my book!

Archived