over the north east

foxshot

This was our first night over the north east for some time ,this area usualy produces some good nights for us,upon arrival we parked up and started to call spotted two a fair way off,couldnt drive any closer as the farmer had reseeded the field so made our way on foot,the night was defly quiet got to within a couple of hundred yards of the cover they were in and again gave a call out came the two like trains i got down and ready for the shot ,my mate stoped them at under 150 yds ,i thought there may be a chance to get the two but the other went a bit too far after seeing its budy drop,again we gave a call but couldnt get a clear shot in the cover so left it for next time,on our way to the next farm we bumped into a couple of local lads to the area,they had shot three had a bit of a crack with them then off we went now we know they also shoot the areas we shoot so we knew we would be in for a quiet night,next farm produced nothing ,as did the next,no suprise there these farms always give us a go at them,then onto the last farm so we again called and saw one very skitish fox and just could not get a go at it,we were ready to call it a night and gave one last call, one came out of a wood and started crossing a field that was quite long white grass, got on the bonnet of the 4* and went and bloody missed,off it went my mate called again and i followed it with the cross hairs on it waiting for it to stop,didnt miss this time down it went ,couldnt find it in the cover but knew it was a clean kill,goes to show you have to take the rough with the smooth,200 mile for two fox's was a bit dissapointing but theres always next week scotland again this time,didnt have camera so no photo

Hope you have better sucsess in Scotland :)

Never mind you could of gone 200 miles for nought. Thats the problem when a few different people shoot the same area, you never no whats really going on. This could be why the foxes were skitish as they may have been lamped and shot at before. The dreaded educated fox :)

Let us know how Scotland goes.

Cheers

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Hey Foxshot..

You got better efforts to show for your 200 mile drive

than I did for a 500 mile drive....

Last weekend I ran up to my folks to look over a farmers property

that my dad knew...They were classmates from way back...

Anyway,We got there and walked the grounds,found signs of

Turkey,Deer,Grey and Fox Squirrel,Raccon,Coyote...

We were mostly interested in hunting Turkey.....

Head back in to let the farmer know what dates for what season and

confirm that we have permision to hunt there...

Only now his wife is home...He says its ok.She says it aint because

she is lettin some bowhunter in that doesnt want anyone on the land

hunting anything while he is hunting in fear of disturbing the deer.

Not wanting to get in the middle of a family feud...

We left.

I was able to drop one Opossum for the whole 3 day weekend

That was my reward for a 500 mile drive.

308Panther

,didnt miss this time down it went ,couldnt find it in the cover but knew it was a clean kill,goes to show you have to take the rough with the smooth,

Foxshot

They don't count unless you pick them :D

200 mile for two fox's was a bit dissapointing but theres always next week scotland again this time,didnt have camera so no photo

200 miles ?!?!?!?!? At 94p per litre thats starting to get expensive. :D

Foxshot

They don't count unless you pick them :D

200 miles ?!?!?!?!? At 94p per litre thats starting to get expensive. :D

Got to agree hoot the boys dedicated :D :D

Good on yer foxshot ;):D

All the best buddies............

RAY.................................. :D :D

Ray

Well you could call it dedicated I suppose. :D

I flatly refuse to share lamping ground, on a safety issue alone. I'd rather let it go than run the risk. Plus if anything untoward happens there's always the issue of who did what, and when. There would be no way I'd do 200 miles to go lamp some multi user shared ground thats for sure.

May be I'm just getting old. ;):D

Good luck to the lad if he's willing.

Quote 308 Panther Foxshot..

You got better efforts to show for your 200 mile drive

than I did for a 500 mile drive.... Thats some drive 308 shame you didnt get the ground we have had similar disputes where the real trouser wearer over rode the husbands permision

Quote Foxhunter

Hi Foxshot , which part of the North East were you lamping ? Nearly every piece of ground now has someone chasing the foxes over here . I hate sharing ground with anyone but sometimes theres no other option,

Foxhunter on the way to otterburn ,in the four or so years of lamping over there we have only seen someonelse lamping about four times, and have always produced good results the best night being eight

QUOTE(Hoot @ Sep 9 2007, 11:20 PM)

Foxshot

They don't count unless you pick them

200 miles ?!?!?!?!? At 94p per litre thats starting to get expensive.

Hoot i gues you have a point we always prefere to pick them up we owe it to them to make sure it isnt wounded ,usualy when one is shot in ground like this whoever is lamping keeps the lamp on the spot it went down even then you have to be on top of it but my mate took the lamp off and we lost where it went down as for fuel it worked out at 30 quid thats roughly an average cost of a nights lamping for us

Quote Ray

Got to agree hoot the boys dedicated

Good on yer foxshot

All the best buddies............

RAY.................................. Realy we have to travel to get a decent night, scotland its not too bad as the usual travel time is about an hour and a half ocasionaly we shoot at gatehouse of fleet this is the furthest we travel up to scotland or the north east to make it would be a total waste of time keeping a rifle to shoot localy there are to many around here that either shoot or dog

fuel it worked out at 30 quid thats roughly an average cost of a nights lamping for us

Thats 30+ MPG! Which is exceptional for a lamping 4X4. What vehicle are you using? You have to factor in the wear and tear also as its not all motorway driving is it :D

But some of the drunken wasters happily spend twice that getting bevvied up on a saturday night. Puts it it into prospective a bit more doesn't it?

Better luck in Scotland.

My vehicle is a 2.2 petrol frontera dont realy rate it off road i think its down to it being petrol, my mates is a monteray 3.0 diesel which is a bit better than mine on fuel consumption and off road

My vehicle is a 2.2 petrol frontera dont realy rate it off road i think its down to it being petrol, my mates is a monteray 3.0 diesel which is a bit better than mine on fuel consumption and off road

Theres nothing wrong with the old frontera off road that a decent set of AT tyres wont sort out.

Archived