40gn ballistic tips in 22/250

Offroad Gary

i've just started useing a 22/250 and am loading 55gn vmax/ballistic tip, anyone use the lighter bullets?

is it worth changing? i'll be shooting vermin and fox, and maybe pushing the range a bit.

cheers

i've just started useing a 22/250 and am loading 55gn vmax/ballistic tip, anyone use the lighter bullets?

is it worth changing? i'll be shooting vermin and fox, and maybe pushing the range a bit.

cheers

Hi i use 50g/52g & 55g & they shoot the same POI even with diffrent powders in my rifle. I have thought of trying some 40g'ers & am helping a mate with a 22.250 ackley & he has 40g v-max & im going to get some fae him to try. I genrally use v-max but have nosler 50g-55g as well & just now im on lapua 55g sp for the roe deer & they are very good too. For the ranges i shoot at on fox etc 300m max the 50g perform good but if shooting over that i would stick to 55g & might even go with sp-heads to give penitration. I find on the roe that the 22.250 is at its limit at 300m-350m & you more than often find the bullet under the skin but a long shot at roe for me is 200m now a days.

Depends on the twist rate of your barrell.

I have been playing with lighter/faster bullets in a couple of calibers, in 6mm I dont see much difference in killing effectiveness on foxes, all kill well. But the most accurate will be the weight of bullet that is optimised for your twist.

My 20BR runs a 1 in 9, most accurate are the 50gr Bergers, 1 in 9 is the optimum twist for this bullet so thats what you would expect. 39/40gr bullets are perfectly acceptable at about .5 moa but would be better in a 1 in 11 or 12, yes they are a shade faster but that has little effect on the drops/drifts at 250 yards or less. Just looking to find a crow or two this week for a 39gr SBK at about 3650, should be explosive.

Another thought is that if your twist is too fast and you pile the coal into the case then the bullet could come apart in flight. A 1 in 11 would allow me to go over 4000fps with the 20 but at about 3700 the I have had a batch of VMaxs not even trouble a target backer.

I would stay with 55s if they shoot well for you, maybe try Berger 52s, they can be driven pretty hard but there is no real benifit moving to 40s.

A

crocket off here uses 40grn vmax bullets in his 22-250 using 36.5gns of n135 which are spot on i must add ,iv seen him knock rabbits over at 318 mtrs with them ..he has two loads ones 40gn 36.5 N135 55gn 34.5 n135 ..he now uses the 40gn more for fun factor ..foxs no probs at all ..im thinking the 40grn is doing some were about the 4,000 fps no signs on the primers so im thinking he could go a little bit more powder if he wanted to ,very nice to shoot and no real kick plus you see the bullet strike ,

barrel is 1 in 12 blaser R93

so far i've shot rooks at 173y, 253y and 310y, and a fox at about 200 ish (didnt range that one)

Dialed the nsx for the two furthest – np2-dd is really good for this long range stuff

i have some 40 grain blizkings i was going to try in my 22/250.

but to be fair theres no point in going to 40 grain just to get that bit more speed as the 50 grain vmax is tearing along more then fast enough.

im almost out of them now tho and got 50 grain blizkings to load to try. i hear there better explosiveness then vmax. and more consistant col to the ogive to.

will save the 40 grain blizkings for the m595 222 :) as my mate swears by them in his

• 2 months later...

Archived