A crackin' night

charly hunter

Well I have just got in from being out with my mate Doug, and boy did we have a busy night. We started off just as it was getting dark enough to use the lamp, I was only calling for a minute or so an Doug shot his first one and within seconds of that shot he had his second. A third one was coming out of the hedge beside us but thought better of it, so after a few minute we moved on down the fields and just 3 fields away and Doug had his 3rd on in the bag. I did call another one but Doug didn't see it, and when he did he went into the hedge. We had a quick look back in the 1st field and there were 2 more there only this time Doug missed one and the other stayed in the long weeds and eventually slipped away into the wood.

The next stop and a few calls and only one fox came but it was on the wrong side for Doug so he let me shoot it but I made a noise with the bi-pod and that was the last we saw of him. So a little further up the road and as I drove into the field I spotted a fox about 110 yds away so engine off and Doug was up on the back of the truck, this one didn't want to keep still but with a shout from me Doug flattened him, fox number 4. I looked to one side and there were 2 more in the next field, one slipped off down the bottom of the field into some dead ground and the other I managed to call in this was fox number 1 for me as I turned around Doug shone the lamp back out into the field and there was another fox coming to the call, but as the field had a lot of weeds in it I couldn't get a good shot so as we turned to go back to the truck there were 2 more in front of the truck about 100 yds out into the field so that was foxes 2 & 3 for me.

We did see 2 or 3 more foxes here but these ones just didn't want to play so we then decided to move on to the next spot, but as luck would have it the fog came in thick and fast so that was the end of the night for us, shame really as we were up for a long night but we can't do much about the weather and anyway 7 foxes shot in a couple of hours is not such a bad evening out. You will notice only 6 foxes in the photo's that is because Doug's last one was in the bottom of a hedge and we just couldn't see it.

dscf0282fh6.jpg

dscf0283yx4.jpg

Well I have just got in from being out with my mate Doug, and boy did we have a busy night. We started off just as it was getting dark enough to use the lamp, I was only calling for a minute or so an Doug shot his first one and within seconds of that shot he had his second. A third one was coming out of the hedge beside us but thought better of it, so after a few minute we moved on down the fields and just 3 fields away and Doug had his 3rd on in the bag. I did call another one but Doug didn't see it, and when he did he went into the hedge. We had a quick look back in the 1st field and there were 2 more there only this time Doug missed one and the other stayed in the long weeds and eventually slipped away into the wood.

The next stop and a few calls and only one fox came but it was on the wrong side for Doug so he let me shoot it but I made a noise with the bi-pod and that was the last we saw of him. So a little further up the road and as I drove into the field I spotted a fox about 110 yds away so engine off and Doug was up on the back of the truck, this one didn't want to keep still but with a shout from me Doug flattened him, fox number 4. I looked to one side and there were 2 more in the next field, one slipped off down the bottom of the field into some dead ground and the other I managed to call in this was fox number 1 for me as I turned around Doug shone the lamp back out into the field and there was another fox coming to the call, but as the field had a lot of weeds in it I couldn't get a good shot so as we turned to go back to the truck there were 2 more in front of the truck about 100 yds out into the field so that was foxes 2 & 3 for me.

We did see 2 or 3 more foxes here but these ones just didn't want to play so we then decided to move on to the next spot, but as luck would have it the fog came in thick and fast so that was the end of the night for us, shame really as we were up for a long night but we can't do much about the weather and anyway 7 foxes shot in a couple of hours is not such a bad evening out. You will notice only 6 foxes in the photo's that is because Doug's last one was in the bottom of a hedge and we just couldn't see it.

Well done, what a night it must have been. I have just come back in. Never saw a thing...well plenty of deer, rabbits & hares but no sign of charly.

Guest varmartin

Well didn't you boys have a cracking two hours !!

I think i will go out tonight and try to bag a couple, there is a farm at Porthtowan with 4 troublesome foxes eating poultry that need to be taught a lesson....

Martin

Nice going you two sounds like you have had some good action in a short time shame the fog spoiled your night could have been a fantastic bag for you,still seven is a very good night

Archived