Brians first fallow buck

It was a super day yesterday so myself and Brian aka Welsh Foxer went deer stalking.

I have after a ten year gap managed to get some of my old stalking back.

Brian is very keen and has not got many deer under his belt yet so he jumped at the chance.

We set off diner time hoping to catch some fallow out enjoying the afternoon sun.

After a few minor disasters of getting the pickup stuck in a gateway and me forgetting the kettle :wacko::rolleyes: we managed to ge out for a stalk.

I needed time to check where the deer were travelling and to reaquaint myself with the lie of the land.

Thankfully things had not changed much over ten years.

One fence line we came to had belly hair over a fair distance on the barbed wire strands, this would be the spot to keep an eye on latter.

This bit of ground is difficult to sit and observe as there are deep gutters and the ground falls off rapidly to the woods edge.

The plan was to let the light fail a bit and allow the deer to come out and graze and to then stalk into them.

5.30 came and we started to stalk in, after 5 minutes I spotted a pair of fallow bucks feeding in a gully.

The approach was difficult as to stalk down the fence line they would wind us to go in the other way you would not see them in the gully.

So it left a hands and knees crawl acrosss the field to get closer.

After 10 minutes we were in position, Brian got down behind his .243 Ackley and fired at the right hand buck which was nicely side on.

There was a thump as the bullet struck, the buck ran 50 yards and collapsed.

Brian was shacking with excitement at getting his first buck...........well done :D

Sorry about the picture, I went to take a photo and in the cold the batteries in the camera had run down :(

So this picture was taken back at the pick up after I'd gralloched it.

001-6.jpg

Well done Brian hope its the first of many.

Cheers

Dave

Well done lads!!! :rolleyes:

And congratulations to Brian on a lovely looking first buck!!!! :wacko::D

i bet you fellas are aching today!!!

Another great hunting memory for you both!!! :(;)

All the best..............

RAY...................................

Thank you lads

And a special thank you to Dave, a real mate.

As Dave has said we had a few setbacks, the truck got bogged twice

and we were lucky to get here out, as for the kettle the less said the better. :)

As you can imagine I am over the moon with this first Fallow.

A bit like your first girlfriend you never forget them.

Ray, I used the 105 Amax load that passed onto me

All the best

Welsh Foxer.

Archived