Foxing 12/02/2010

kip270

Had a phone call from Dan “Dad I got a guy who needs rabbits controlled on his garden centre, can you help him?” Well with an invitation like that who could say no………well not me.

So Friday we headed up there with the .22 and then afterwards we were going to pop up to the sheep farm for some foxing with the .222.

There is a plantation of Christmas trees and other bits so trying to shoot these rabbits was a bit of hide & seek. The wind wasn’t the best and it was a cold night with an easterly wind, we saw about a dozen rabbits and managed to shoot two, purely down to safe shots and just getting a feel for the ground. The usual thing though, “There are loads of rabbits up here and I need them controlled”, so the next few weeks will tell if there are as many as the owner says.

On the way home we called in on the sheep farm, Dan’s turn to shoot tonight, so we were hoping to see something.

The first field was full of sheep and a few rabbits, so we slowly carried on to the next field that we seem to have more success in, we got through the gate and scanned around with the lamp. I spotted a fox sat on the edge of the wood 200 yards in front of us but on the other side of the fence, but it didn’t hang around for a shot and wasn’t interested in any calls, so we made our way to the corner where we could overlook four good field and up the other side of the permission.

I decided to try my Primo’s Cat Nip call (with all the gear I had I couldn’t take my FoxPro FX3 out), and few blasts on that and I spotted a fox to our left running across the filed like a greyhound coming to see what was going on. It made it’s way to the hedgerow, and then we lost sight of it, so I scanned all around us and the first one we spotted was having a look to see what was going on, but liked the safety of sitting in the wood and just having a look what was going on.

I swung the lamp back round to where the fox had run in to take a look and then further down the field we spotted a fox looking at us, but there was no chance of a safe shot because of the terrain. After a few minutes we couldn’t see any sign of it so decided to take a walk along the hedgerow and come round the back to where we had seen the fox, scanning all around as we made our way to a gap in the hedgerow.

As soon as we got to a good vantage point I scanned in front of us and there was Charlie sat bold as brass looking at us some 180 yards away, Dan was down on the ground and bi-pod set and ready for the shot. “Bang” at Dans shot there was “Thump” sound coming back at us, the fox was in a bit of a dip so we couldn’t see where it was laying, so after a few steps we spotted it.

A big Dog Fox and I ranged it at 177 yards, a neck shot; Dan is certainly proving that he is a good Rifleman.

So with the farmer due to start lambing any time now he will be happy.

107_0074.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived