Foxing with the .222

kip270

With all the naff weather we have had of late, I haven't had chance to get out lamping when my work shift pattern allows, sods law when I'm nights everything is perfect, but when I'm afternoons or mornings it's chucking it down with rain.

So Sunday night was dry, half moon but we thought this will be the last chance before I go back to work on nights, so go for it.

I bought a cluson shootalite off ajw, and was eager to get out and try it, and I also took another lamp for Dan rather than swing the rifle round.

There was a slight ground frost and a westerly breeze, we got set up and walked the first field but nothing, so we carried on to a corner that we could scan four fields, and further.

I set out the FoxPro and set it on rabbit distress, we scanned around but still nothing, so Dan then put it on fox rally (vixen barking), I scanned around behind hind and into a wood, then spotted some eyes behind the wire fence, just peering round a tree, but there was no chance of a shot. Dan then whispered that there was another one some 300 yards away sat in a hedge just looking at us.

We stood at the gateway hoping for one of the foxes to make it's way to us, but they both stood their ground, neither of them wanting to move, then Dan scanned to the left and caught a glimpse of a fox making off, only 100 yards away but making off with speed.

He scanned to where he spotted the fox 300 yards away and there were no eyes shining, so we thought it was that one that made its way into us.

Then there was a glimpse, it was still sat there, so I got over the gate, Dan passed my rifle to me I slowly stalked closer with the Shootalite on my rifle, while Dan & his cousin stayed with the call.

I managed to get to within 150 yards, and settled down prone for the shot, the fox was happy to sit there while I got ready. He was facing me, so I settled the cross-hairs on its chest and sent the 52grain Berger on its way, there was a satisfying thump as my bullet found its mark and watched it fall on its side through the scope.

A dog Fox, but he wasn't heavy at all.

We had a looked around on some more ground but we didn't see anything.

107_0040.jpg

Nice shooting.

What do you think of your new lamp? I have one and they're pretty good for the weight, but sometimes I feel I could do with more. I guess that's when the hand held lamp comes in?

What's the mod in the picture? It looks a bit long to be an S5 but is still quite stubby compared to most. It looks good.

Nice shooting.

What do you think of your new lamp? I have one and they're pretty good for the weight, but sometimes I feel I could do with more. I guess that's when the hand held lamp comes in?

What's the mod in the picture? It looks a bit long to be an S5 but is still quite stubby compared to most. It looks good.

The lamp is great for solo lamping, spotted the fox at over 300 yards at first, not sure about the orange filter though......

• 4 months later...
The lamp is great for solo lamping, spotted the fox at over 300 yards at first, not sure about the orange filter though......

what a tap /awesome man /just how overlooked is the 222 with todays foxers /got one use it love it .takes me back to the days of the early warrener vids /

Archived