Lamping The Night Away January 2010

JohnGalway

We've had a pretty cold spell going on here out West, much like the rest of Ireland. I'm in a bit of a contradiction here, thankfully in the line of farming and general getting around living right next to the Atlantic we're still pretty warm so we've not been hit by the worst of the snow and icy roads. The contradiction is that I'd have given someone else's right leg for a few inches of proper dusty snow, imagine all those tracks!

Tonight I'm out on a solo run, no particular reason other than I wanted to get out. Since before Christmas I wanted to go to a valley that's always been a productive spot. What with the weather I wasn't sure what the narrow steep mountain road was going to be like and until now had decided against going there. But, we've had a lot of dry weather so I thought hoped there wouldn't be ice on the road, otherwise I'd be in for a hell of a long walk. Extra socks packed in case I needed them over the muckboots.

I made my way to the beginning of the valley. Being in two minds whether to drive up to the top as I wanted to or go half way, call it a good job and mess about on foot from there, I went for broke. To my great surprise, there was little to no ice on the road whatsoever. This isn't the nicest place to go off the road, one side there's a nice drop most of the way up and rocks a plenty to run into.

Got out, geared up and set off up past the shed and out into the cold of the night. Bloody freezing up here, and there's a pretty decent "lazy" wind as Sprags would describe it, in that it'd go through you rather than around you! I think my 507 layers put up a decent fight, Michelin man has nothing on me tonight!

In the middle of what best could be described as a "rabbit" farm, I picked a spot that had a decent line of sight in most directions. I tried a vixen call first, let that run for a few minutes then knocked it off for a while to scan about. I expected a fox to show up pretty quickly but was left disappointed. After some time I tried the rabbit in distress call, and again waited for no reward. 45 minutes to an hour had passed, standing in one spot I was losing the feeling in my left hand (guess which glove I'd left behind), time for a walk to a new spot down near the river.

Passed the remains of the last fox I'd shotgunned, and made my way down to where Niall had shot the fox across the river. Again, a hill with decent views. It's probably popped up in someone's mind, why's he on hills when the moon is full? Fair question, I'm enclosed by some pretty steep mountains on three sides, the moon isn't getting in here for a while yet!

The rabbit in distress isn't having much luck tonight, I thought I'd see more foxes with this hard weather I'd imagined they'd be pretty hungry tonight. Maybe these bunnies aren't the easy meal I thought. Another half hour passes and no sign of an eye, time for a vixen call, then move on to greener pastures if that doesn't yield the desired result. I've not had the call on long when a fox appears, where, behind me! He's moving up along a small stream which has hidden him from view. If he's not already winded me he's come pretty close to it, but doesn't seem either bothered by me or interested in the vixen gagging for it. A gay vegan fox??

First time I see him he's maybe 80 yards away, moving up and away from me slowly but steadily. I've to move a few yards to get a prone spot for the rifle. By the time I'm down and have the lamp clipped on he's at 110 yards mooching just behind some trees. Waiting for a gap I seize my chance and put a Vmax in his boiler room, down he goes into the withered bracken and out like a light. A nice dog fox in good condition, might have a go skinning this one, entry hole and exit hole both small so I'm not too bothered, probably end up with a bald crappy bit of tough leather anyway lol.

fox10buckoriverdogfox110yards.jpg

We've had a pretty cold spell going on here out West, much like the rest of Ireland. I'm in a bit of a contradiction here, thankfully in the line of farming and general getting around living right next to the Atlantic we're still pretty warm so we've not been hit by the worst of the snow and icy roads. The contradiction is that I'd have given someone else's right leg for a few inches of proper dusty snow, imagine all those tracks!

Tonight I'm out on a solo run, no particular reason other than I wanted to get out. Since before Christmas I wanted to go to a valley that's always been a productive spot. What with the weather I wasn't sure what the narrow steep mountain road was going to be like and until now had decided against going there. But, we've had a lot of dry weather so I thought hoped there wouldn't be ice on the road, otherwise I'd be in for a hell of a long walk. Extra socks packed in case I needed them over the muckboots.

I made my way to the beginning of the valley. Being in two minds whether to drive up to the top as I wanted to or go half way, call it a good job and mess about on foot from there, I went for broke. To my great surprise, there was little to no ice on the road whatsoever. This isn't the nicest place to go off the road, one side there's a nice drop most of the way up and rocks a plenty to run into.

Got out, geared up and set off up past the shed and out into the cold of the night. Bloody freezing up here, and there's a pretty decent "lazy" wind as Sprags would describe it, in that it'd go through you rather than around you! I think my 507 layers put up a decent fight, Michelin man has nothing on me tonight!

In the middle of what best could be described as a "rabbit" farm, I picked a spot that had a decent line of sight in most directions. I tried a vixen call first, let that run for a few minutes then knocked it off for a while to scan about. I expected a fox to show up pretty quickly but was left disappointed. After some time I tried the rabbit in distress call, and again waited for no reward. 45 minutes to an hour had passed, standing in one spot I was losing the feeling in my left hand (guess which glove I'd left behind), time for a walk to a new spot down near the river.

Passed the remains of the last fox I'd shotgunned, and made my way down to where Niall had shot the fox across the river. Again, a hill with decent views. It's probably popped up in someone's mind, why's he on hills when the moon is full? Fair question, I'm enclosed by some pretty steep mountains on three sides, the moon isn't getting in here for a while yet!

The rabbit in distress isn't having much luck tonight, I thought I'd see more foxes with this hard weather I'd imagined they'd be pretty hungry tonight. Maybe these bunnies aren't the easy meal I thought. Another half hour passes and no sign of an eye, time for a vixen call, then move on to greener pastures if that doesn't yield the desired result. I've not had the call on long when a fox appears, where, behind me! He's moving up along a small stream which has hidden him from view. If he's not already winded me he's come pretty close to it, but doesn't seem either bothered by me or interested in the vixen gagging for it. A gay vegan fox??

First time I see him he's maybe 80 yards away, moving up and away from me slowly but steadily. I've to move a few yards to get a prone spot for the rifle. By the time I'm down and have the lamp clipped on he's at 110 yards mooching just behind some trees. Waiting for a gap I seize my chance and put a Vmax in his boiler room, down he goes into the withered bracken and out like a light. A nice dog fox in good condition, might have a go skinning this one, entry hole and exit hole both small so I'm not too bothered, probably end up with a bald crappy bit of tough leather anyway lol.

fox10buckoriverdogfox110yards.jpg

nice one john i like that remmy you have :D:)

Archived