a good morning

Took A mate out just before the weekend, he has only just started stalking.

we had a non productive evening stalk but managed to get him into this buck not long after first light in the morning.

This fella was heading across a clearing with a doe and seemed a little wary.

I glassed him with the binos and got my mate ready, when the buck presented he was ever so slightly quartering away, on connection the buck went straight down. a few seconds later with a good bit of thrashing on the ground the buck was up and away, 4metres and he was straight into a thick rhododendron and softwood plantation.

my mate wasn't quite quick enough to get another shot off, we both thought bugger.

we had a little glass around to see if the shot had disturbed any other bucks but no so we ambled over to the point where the shot was taken and then made our way to the point the buck dropped, at first nothing, no hair, no blood not a zip, halfway to the wood (about 2m) found some small spots of blood. they were spaced some way apart, showed the first drops to the dog and loosed her off, she knew what it was all about and took off through the wood on a mission, she was well out off sight and soon came straight back and then off in another direction, still heading in the same general direction, i called her back and then followed on the lead, about 65yds in in amongst the rhodies lay the buck.

a good morning, great stalk and a great retrieval!!

dorsetstalking008.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Hi SakoBoom

Nice lil buck there....

What cal was used?

Looks like he layed down and went to sleep,Lotta internal

hemoraging?

308Panther

Well done matey :rolleyes::D I bet your friend is well chuffed , is it his first deer?? If so well done!!!

All the very best..............

RAY................. :D :D

my mate was using a .270

id forgotten how bloody noisy they are un moderated!!

the internals were in a right mess, the bullet entered about where the diaphragm joins the ribcage, on it path it absolutly wiped out the liver, and took out a small portion of lung on the left side, missed everything else and filled the whole cavity with a thick mush, i was surprised how far he got to be honest.

i really enjoyed the follow up, ive been using a 30.06 AI for a while now and not a lot runs on from contact with that.

this was his second deer, he was well chuffed

Archived