Got myself another .22lr

njc110381

I decided some time ago when I put in for my 7mm and .17AH that I fancied another .22lr. Since I sold my 10/22 I've been a bit off of the calibre prefering the faster small centrefires and the HMR for my bunny bashing. Well I picked up a used CZ Varmint for good money so took it out to zero it today. I got it shooting nicely and at that point a bunny popped out of the hedge! I'm sure he'd of stayed home if I'd have been using anything else.

I can't believe how quiet it is! My old 10/22 that Baldie built was quiet, but this bolt action is near silent! The biggest noise is the bullet strike. I think my opinion of the calibre may be turning. Up until now I've never really rated it but it's done me well. I hit the bunny through the shoulder and the meat was still edible, that really is a novelty!

Yeah,I know exactly where you're coming from, I find it a great way to practice. With a bolt action & subsonics, it is pretty damn quiet, those RWS subs are even quieter too (a bit less powerful).

Irritating the price of ammo has gone up as much in the past year though.

I know what you mean. Things are getting a little steep recently.

I like to keep things realistic though, when my grandad was shooting to put food on the table a box of 12g goose loads cost him pretty much a weeks wages. He wouldn't fire unless he could wing at least a pair with one shot! We have it pretty easy, at least we can afford to have hobbies. In some countries just feeding the kids is a hit and miss task so I'm not going to grumble. It all seems bad when bullets go up by a tenner per hundred but it's not the end of the world, in fact it hardly matters at all. :D

Archived