my Tikka .223

Snowz

Thought i'd post a picture of my Tikka .223 that I've thinking of getting a new barrel for. I bought the Burris scope off of a - and just sorted some new rings out and fitted the scope, so thought i better go zero it in yesterday as the weather was perfect, Only using factory ammo at the moment as still sorting out the .223 reloading equipment and i found that the Feds shoot well enough for foxing before.

we was shooting at 100yds for zero then at 170 yards at some targets and clays

DSC_1757.jpg

DSC_1763-1.jpg

Sweet bit of kit sniper. What groups are you achieving with the factory ammo ?

I guarantee you'll do better if you reload for it.. 8" or 12" twist barrel ?

Grant..

with the factory ammo i get a good thumb nail group @100yds, its a 1:12 twist barrel but saving up for a custom 1:8 twist after xmas. Just getting the reloading dies for xmas and will reload the .223 as i already reload my .22k hornet

Before you go spending cash on a new barrel, try the following.

Berger 60 grn match flat based hollow point over 24 grains Varget.

Other 60 grn bullets that work nicely are Sierra 60's and Hornady 60's.

I've used all of them out to 300 yards and they hold the V bull very nicely indeed. The Berger does it far tighter though.

Few gunnies stock the Berger but Bushwear will post them out at £29.95 a box plus post and i believe Norman Clark does them too.

Before you go spending cash on a new barrel, try the following.

Berger 60 grn match flat based hollow point over 24 grains Varget.

Other 60 grn bullets that work nicely are Sierra 60's and Hornady 60's.

I've used all of them out to 300 yards and they hold the V bull very nicely indeed. The Berger does it far tighter though.

Few gunnies stock the Berger but Bushwear will post them out at £29.95 a box plus post and i believe Norman Clark does them too.

will try them for now but want to try shooting out to further ranges thats why i wanted a tighter twist for heavier bullets

• 2 weeks later...
hi

what twist is the barrell

my t3 is 1in8 and i have shot 600 yards using 69 grain tips

neil

Snipers is a 1 in 12" Neil

yes its a 1:12 twist, and just found out its been re barreled sometime so going to get it checked out by a gun smith to see what condition the internals are.

Had some Redding comp bullet seating die, type "S" neck sizing die and body die for Xmas along with other bits so will be ready to reload now and going to try to see if i can stabilize some 60grn bullets or heavier also

Archived