Bunnies, bunnies & more bunnies

charly hunter

I had arranged to Doug out Thursday night and during the day I got a visit from a Chris, now he is a new guy to the rifle shooting and has not had a great deal of experience with lamping as he doesn't know anyone that can take him, so I invited him along. 19.00hrs the lads turn up and after a cup of tea and a chat about where we are going and how things work Chris was rearing to go.

After a 20 minute drive we start the first farm, Chris with his .17 and Doug with his .22 It was a funny night to start with we had a cold north wind and after an hour or so although the wind stayed in the north it when warm but by 02.00 hrs it was cold again and we could see a mist in the distance but it never got to us just seem to go around us, strange.

Well Chris started the evening shooting out the back window and being new to it he was finding it hard to judge the distance in the dark but once Doug or myself was telling where to aim he soon got the measure of his Sako quad .17 We left the fist area with Chris asking if he has enough bullets as he had only brought 150 and he had already used a good few and he had shot 39 rabbits we joked with him saying that he should have borought a lot more.

well after a quick drive up the road we started again, this time the guys were on the back and taking in turns with the shooting. I stopped in a few places hoping to call a fox or two but tonight it just wasn't going to happen we never saw a pair of eyes. Sorry Doug I did try for you mate, next time will be better.

Anyways time was getting on so we decided to look one last place and here we got a shock Just after driving in the field we saw what looked like a load of black plastic, you know the stuff that the farmer use on the farm, I have seen some in this field before but not in this place so I thought I'd have a closer look, it turned out to be to young lads in sleeping bags, these seemed to be out of it even though I said they were lucky they didn't get shot there was no movement from them.

We drove on staying well away from this area and after a few more rabbits in the bag we decided it was time for our beds as it was after 02.00hrs and the guys had shot a total of 87 rabbits. Chris said he has never had such fun and such an easy night lamping as he never had to walk anywhere. It was good having Chris with us as he was like a young gazelle up and on the back of the truck to do the gates, and good company also. A cracking night can't wait for the next one.

Sorry no photos' as we were a bit to busy to take them.

Good to hear you lads a cracking time ;):P

Bit of a shocker with them boys hey nigel - like we always say " you can never be too careful "

Good shooting too!!!

All the very best....................

RAY.................. :P;)

Nice on Nigel, I've heard a feew people say bunnies are back to pre mixy levels this year.

People are plonkers, its the same with us they just show up where they have no business to be.

Take care

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Hi Nigel,

Man,with 87 bunnies I can see why ya was a bit too busy to

take some pics...and that should make for tasty bait for the foxes too,Huh?

I think I know what your doin tonight.... ;)

Chasin some Redtails?

Makes ya wonder what evils the kids are up to these days to take a damp

night in a field over a soft cozy bed.Didnt their parents teach them nothin?

308Panther

These kids were not very old, looking at them I would have said maybe 15, they were lucky they didn't go in the next field as there is a very large bull in there. Where are the parents? I'd be going nuts if mine were out all night at that age.

Guest 308Panther
hey nigel

save some for me!!! back from crete next week,so i will need a holiday!!!!!!!!! ;);):P

Your gonna need a holiday from lookin at half naked women???

Either you sipped on one too many umbrella drinks....or they was really ugly women.

308Panther

Your gonna need a holiday from lookin at half naked women???

Either you sipped on one too many umbrella drinks....or they was really ugly women.

308Panther

hi panther

no, i will need a holiday from the running .ve been doing,being chased by irate husbands with shouts of "stop looking at wifes( i,m sure you can guess1)its amazing a geezer of my age can run that fast!!!!! but worth every meter!!!!!!!,i have found that hiding in the bushes with a pair of binos a bit more up my street but the moses bite yer legs!!!!!

Not a good move ( but tempting to us all) to mention getting shot to anyone. It can quickly escalate to problems you dont want and may not be able to handle.

It can be misconstrued by a police officer that you dont look properly at what your shooting at night. If parents get involved it quickly turns into " he threatened to shoot my son " either way your licence can become history faster than fag smoke, in this day and age and getting it back could take for ever.

Better to just say "this is private land , what are you doing" then suggest he/they leave immediately as the police will be called and dont have a gun visible much less in your hand at the time.

It may be irritating but that goes with the territory these days, particularly in the light of recent events however far away they may seem to be.

Good shooting by the way and great to give somebody a start, very generous and and example to all of us.

Redfox

Guest 308Panther
Better to just say "this is private land , what are you doing" then suggest he/they leave immediately as Redfox

How so very very true.....

No....I was thinkin more on the lines of Charley Hunters response "Where are the parents? I'd be going nuts if mine were out all night at that age." And how my folks kept a very watchful eye on me and my brother and sister and how we were expected to be in the house at least an hour and a half before curfew,Wich would have been 9 30 pm.

When Angel's twin Daughters turned 18 they thought that the heavens parted,they were free of parental martial law and no longer needed to explain who where,when,why and how, and could go running around all night.....Wrong.The legal drinking age in this state is 21.And since neither of them had a job...Neither one of them had a reason to be out later then midnight.The parking lot to our apt complex wasnt going to be the hangout for every teenybopper tomcat,and I wasnt going to listen to the neighbors complain about car steroes,tires being melted and car alarms going off all night.

My government may be a Democracy.....but the rules of this house arent and were not open for negotiations.They didnt like it ...of course. But both are in college and at the moment both neither of them is pregnant....Wich of course all makes Angel's and My life much simpler. :lol:

308Panther

Yes 308P daughters are a whole lot more worry, Ive got one of each and Im still worrying about the daughter and shes 26. My son is now 36 and doing ok with a baby daughter 4 1/2 months old the worry has started already :lol: but he still has a long way to go.

Redfox

Yeh! pard I here what your saying, but this area is heavily guarded and it's better that I say it to them than and as they did slipped away when we were gone than they end up locked up or bitten and locked up of worse but the millitary. Do you think they are going to listen to kids moaning that they were threatend with guns, don't think so. I know kids will be kids but sometimes I think it's mum and dad that need the kick in the arse. Even if I had no guns out what would have happend if I had driven over them? might of happened as I said they were in a field where the black plastic is scatered around, and they were in black sleeping bags in longish grass. I personally am not worried about the words I used as I am in my right to be there and I do the same again if it scares them enought to send them home thats fine by me.

You lads have had a superb night on the rabbits,but just goes to show how vigilant you have to be,could have turned into a bloody disaster

Archived