308 loads

zigliss

I now use 165 hp sierra 2140 's and behind these I have n140 @ 44.5 grs.

This gives me 2725 from 24" barrel. Very consistent but long strings in summertime indicates it is nearing the top limit in my rifle.

My rifle didn't like this bullet when it was around the 42 grains where I started with it.

I find 44.0g VarGet is a good alternative for N140 and with a 167g Scenar, 168g MatchKing or 168g Nosler Match gives an outstandingly accurate short-range load in most 308s.

These are short range bullets though. If you measure them you'll find they are generally shorter than the lighter 155g match bullets and the worse BC means they are only good up to about 500m.

Cornishman

Hi Zig. I've been using 167gr lap scenars out to 600 yards for awhile now and find they shoot well but no better than 155 lap scenars in a 10 + mph crosswind at that distance in my Sako.

My fave load for the 167 is 44.5 grns Vit N140 with the bullet 10 thou off the lands. In my chamber that makes the COL 2.845" & still magazine length.

If i do my bit, it's a V bull load at 600 yards and will print sub 1" at 200 yards.

Hope this is of help...

Grant..

Thanks chaps.

I have found 43gr to be very accurate but then I have not been reaching out to 600yds+ with my 308s.

Interested in the comments around 167 vs 155/150.....I have colleagues who are reaching out to 1200 yards with hot 155gr loads but are not getting the same consistency or wind doping success that I get with my 6.5mm.

Archived