Any-one .243 105g a-max

snap_shot

just a little question regarding the 105 a-max,

before i start to load a few rounds i'm wondering does anyone have load data or info regarding 105g

i've got 2 powders to play with n160 and varget..

i'm thinking the slower n160 will be the better of the 2.... going to seat them 20 thou of the lands as this seems to be the sweet spot for most of my rounds so far...

barrel is 1 in 9 24.5 inches... so i'm hoping it'll be a good long range affair......

any info would be great ....

Cheers.

Snap.

Ok, well it looks like quickload is duff then :lol:

(I know quickload is only a guide but then again so are data manuals)

39.2g gets you around 2500fps. Pressure probably too low for full obturation.

Even with a .5 inch seating depth (unlikely) you still have 44.5grs to play with. Either my program is wrong or your data is out and I'm prepared to accept either proposition.

Can anyone else run this to check please?

Regards

Gareth

Ok, well it looks like quickload is duff then :lol:

(I know quickload is only a guide but then again so are data manuals)

39.2g gets you around 2500fps. Pressure probably too low for full obturation.

Even with a .5 inch seating depth (unlikely) you still have 44.5grs to play with. Either my program is wrong or your data is out and I'm prepared to accept either proposition.

Can anyone else run this to check please?

Regards

Gareth

i've never used quickload mate... but refering to the lee modern reloading manual, 39.2 is the max load and should give a velocity of around 2600fps....

cheers.

Snap.

Snap,

I've used up to 44gn N160 in the past in .243W with the 100gn Sierra BTSP GameKing without any ill effects - can't give you any MVs as was winter and too dark for my chronograph.

I don't believe the 105 A-Max is so different that it would reduce max loads by 5gn.

Vihtavuori list a maximum load of 43.1 for the 105gn HPBT Scenar match bullet which has the same form as the A-Max and 41.6gn for the 105gn Speer. The Speer is a flat-base PSP type with a very long bearing surface that will increase pressures, so a 1.5gn reduction over the Scenar makes sense.

I'd start somewhere about 38-39gn, and go up in 0.5gn steps to 42gn. If pressures look reasonable there, carry on with smaller increases - 0.3gn is about right size.

Laurie

PS you know the standard 10" .243W twist won't stabilise the 105 A-Max and the 1-9" on Remington 700s is marginal with this bullet?

Archived