The ****ing roof is leaking!

njc110381

Hey guys. Do we have any roofers on the site? In that bad rain we've just had our roof decided it was going to leak around the chimney area. I've had a look and it seems it may need repointing, I can't see anything wrong with the flashing (but then I don't really know what I'm looking for!). Is it likely the pointing is to blame? It really doesn't look that bad but it isn't perfect?

Why do jobs like this always come up at bad times? I'm earning next to nothing because of the bad weather (I'm a gardener) and all I seem to be getting is bills. I've had to back out of a gun purchase because I just can't afford it and I feel really bad about it. I hate letting people down but I just can't seem to build up any money recently. I hate to say it but I'm not used to feeling this poor. I've never had to think about the shopping bill before or not drink at the pub when we go out because I can't afford it. My mrs earns good money and we get by but there just seems to be so much going wrong recently. The bloody paper boy earns more than me in this weather! :(

Hope your sorted but if not.....

It will probably be the flashing, the lead sheet bit around the bottom where the tiles meet the brick/stone etc of the chimney. You could redo this yourself easy enough or you could just bodge it up for the time being with some of that silver tape from B and Q. That sticks well and would get you over this poor time.

Don't lose heart the rain won't last forever............ will it?

Hi mate,i'm a roofer and at a guess I'd say if your roof is slate and not tile I wll put money on the problem being the lead soakers ,they are lead strps about 10"x6" that are bent at 90 degrees and fit one half under the slate and the other half up the chimney stack behind the lead flashing if one has slipped or perished you'd only lookng at £80 tops hope this helps pal and please don't use flash band its a waste of money cheers Jase.

Well I've been up and had a look. I can't see any problems with the flashing but some of the pointing has fallen out to quite a depth. It's not leaking any more, I think it was the high winds pushing the rain onto the chimney in a direction it doesn't usually come from. I haven't done anything to it yet because of the weather. When it dries up a bit I'll get up there and repoint it and re-seat (dunno the correct term!) the flashing. There's certainly nothing major which is a relief.

Of course now there's the next issue of the flat roof!

Archived