Going out with a bang

sir-slots-alot

I have just finalised the sale of my Tikka 243 varmint ( she going on Monday)

Last night , I thought I would take it out for a last shot before she's gone.

My shooting pal Dave and I have a new patch of about 170 acres. It contains some good woods and a couple of ponds.

The farmer has complained about foxes killing his chickens to a farmer who I already shoot for., and my name was passed on

We arrived at his farm about 11 pm last night .. howling winds and rain showers .. But we promised we would turn up, so there we where

We started in a 30 acre field - found a good vantage point - set the rifle down and started calling..

Within a few minuites, a large fox was running towards us.... caught in the white light from the lightforce 140 - it turned and started trotting diagonally away from us.

Dave kept the lamp on it , and I tracked it in the scope , it finally stopped on the edge of the field , some 220 yrds away and looked back towards the call.

I sent a 87 grain Vmax into its rib cage - job done. it was a very large dog fox which weighed 24.5 lb.

Next we went to a smaller field and just had a scan with the lamp.. Dave spotted a fox in the next field which was a old maize stubble field.

Couldn't get the shot , The stalks of the maize blocked the shot , untill it walked between rows... All I could see was its head as its body was hidded behind a screen of maize stalks.

Again the 87 grn Vmax found its mark at a range of 180 yrds - straight between the eyes..... again this was a dog fox - only smaller.

http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj347/s...ent=work171.jpg

The weather caught up with us - it p1$$ed it down - and we packed up and headed home ... got a good soaking on the way back to the 4x4 ,, but still smiling

The 243 dropped 4 fox on friday night and 2 more last night ..will be sad to sell it really ... All I can say is , my next rifle has very big boots to fill

All the best

Alan

I was going to get a 6 BR. (the one in the for sale section ) http://www.rhinorifles.co.uk/forSale.aspx

But the deal has fallen through on that rifle

So my Tikka 243 will be staying with me .. as I said I relly didn't want to sell it anyway.

It will be joined by a new build.

Tikka M590 action

Douglas 1 in 9 tube in 224 cal

Mac stock

Calibre - not 100 % - maybe 22.250 ( or Ackley ) or 22 BR.

Just finalising things this week.

All the best

Alan

Archived