Venison Sausages

Millwall Paul

Just thought I'd post this one, I found it on the web and they come out really nice. I used white ground pepper instead ehich gave them a nice kick. Have just made another batch and added a load of dried parsley and dried chopped chives. Also instead of using just fatty pork I found that you can buy misshapes bacon from the local butcher at £2 / kilo I use some of this instead of some of the pork and cut back on the salt and it gives it a nice depth of flavour. I did find though in the last batch because of the extra dried ingrediants that I needed some more wine. Oh well it was just the excuse I needed to open another bottle.

This is the seasoning for a 6-pound batch. 4 pounds of venison, 2 pounds of fatty pork shoulder or 50 -50 with fatty pork and bacon misshapes. I used a little red wine to dissolve the salt and infuse the seasonings. I don't remember what I used, now - some leftover merlot shiraz what ever happened to be to hand. I've also found Port gives a slightly different / deeper flavour. I would have used about 6 fluid ounces for 6 pounds of meat.

Seasoning for 6 pounds:

6 teaspoons salt - Less if using bacon but up to your taste.

6 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

3 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder

3 1/4 teaspoons ginger

2 1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, finely chopped

2 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme

1 1/8 teaspoons mustard

1 1/8 teaspoons dried oregano

Prepare medium hog casing. Dissolve the salt in the wine and stir in the seasonings to infuse. Chill and cube the meat and fat in 1" cubes. Mince the meat and fat separately through the primary grind plate (I use a 1/2" plate). Combine the meat and fat in a large bowl, add the wine and seasonings and fold to distribute the seasonings. Chill and run through the final grind plate (I use 3/16" or 1/4" or even 3/8" depending on the sausage I want). Stuff into casing.

Archived