keeping a dog under a high seat

Just a quick question what methods do you use to keep a young dog under a high seat ??

Iam away this weekend and my dog will be coming,I will be using high seats for the weekend and intend to keep my dog under it

this will be the first time attemping this,Iam not over bothered about shooting anything its just a good opertunity to bring my dog on further

I have a team of guns shooting over the weekend so hopefully there will be a carcass or two to put the dog on.

she is very steady but i just havnt had here sitting for a long long time

With my last dog (GSP) I just put an old blanket in her bed at home then once she was used to it I cut it in half and left half in her bed and took the other half out stalking and put this under my high seats when I wanted her to stay there, over a period of six months or so I kept preiodically cutting this piece in half and throwing half away until I was just taking out a hankerchief sized piece then I finally chucked that away and she was fine. She often had deer really close but never ran in. I never had to tie her to the seat but some dogs may need this to begin with (assuming your seats are solid enought to tie a dog to without risk of collapse!). I haven't tried my new dog under a seat yet. If I were you I would try just taking her bed out with you or, failing that, one of your jackets. Its a big advantage having a dog that will sleep quietly under a seat so its worth putting the effort in to get it right. Some people tie a cord to the dogs collar and pass it under the bottom rung and take the other end up the seat so that they can give the dog a tug if it misbehaves but I never had to do this. One thing that you have got right already is that, to begin with, concentrate on settleing the dog rather than shooting deer. Good luck. JC

Pete

put some ladders up a tree on your land and sit her down under them, you can do this at home but your dog will behave different out in the field.

my spaniel will sit there under the high seat and i have not done anything with him at all.

I think if they can see you they are not that bothered.

Don't tie her to the high seat. this could cause an accident. and leave you up side down.

If you want to try my cork screw and fasten her under the seat(for if a deer comes out near her) then let me know and i will drop it off.

Get some blood wile you are down there. the best way is to collect it from out the chest cavity with a cup or a scoop. don't worry about the lumps of stuff in the blood. as you can liquidize it and it will make for better trails. Put the blood in them freezer bags that seal up and you will be good to go.

when you cut the feet off the beast keep them all from the same beast.and keep them separate.

this will make for better trails.

Have you done any proper trails with her yet?

ATB

Colin

nice to see good advice being given my dog is good under high seat if you get chance i will take you out and let your dog sit with ruby if you are a bit unsure how steady she will be stand under high seat for 20 min then let her see you climb up i have seen your dog you will have no trouble with her one very steady dog you cannot beat a lab they are born halve trained my latest task is to try and get my new choclate lab to perform trying a dog this time allways had bitches good luck for weekend atom ;)

Sit or stay should be enough, your choice of command,make sure she knows where you have gone though as they dont tend to look up very often. If there's a possibility of her whining a squeezy bottle or water pistol is a good idea,give her a splat when or if she makes a noise.

NELL

nice to see good advice being given my dog is good under high seat if you get chance i will take you out and let your dog sit with ruby if you are a bit unsure how steady she will be stand under high seat for 20 min then let her see you climb up i have seen your dog you will have no trouble with her one very steady dog you cannot beat a lab they are born halve trained my latest task is to try and get my new choclate lab to perform trying a dog this time allways had bitches good luck for weekend atom :(

well iam back,what a great weekend I didnt pull the rigget once but my dog performed superb,she was a joy to have out she sat quietley under my seat not even moving for rabbits or pheasants,

my clients had a good time putting 12 beast in the larder,we had to dispatch a young fallow doe caught in a wire fence,the meat was no good due to the stress the beast went through so we used the carcass to lay a lovely 200 yard blood trail,my dog found the carcass in about 30 secs

needless to say at 17 months old now Iam over the moon with her and its nice to get compliments on here steadyness and behaviour from other shooters

Atom

let me know when you want to go out we can also visit my piece of ground which is near yours ;)

Archived