new brass

foxshot

Well received my lapua brass yesterday thanx baldie and south yorkshire shooting supplies for providing a very friendly and fast service,also thanx to all those others that offerd help , any how yesterday after my tea got down to some reloading for geting my 223 ack imp up and running if i have used the sinclari bullet seating depth tool corectly i seated the heads just toutching the lands, this is where i could have done with one of you guys to keep me right,it took some time to set the seating die but eventualy got fifty rounds loaded using my new brass federal gold match primers,H4895 powder 26 gr this was the max that i found on hornaday site, toped off with 55 gr v-max ,i was hopeing to get out today to run in the barrel ,fireform the loads and sight in at the same time but it was pissing down so lets hope i can get out tomorrowagain thanx baldie and s.y s .s

Better to knock 5% off the max load to start with especially seating the bullet out to the lands, as that raises pressure anyway. I usually start at a lower powder weight and make 5s at 30.25.20 thou off the rifling and see how they group, pick the best group and make 5s at different powder loads see which is best again. Remember .020" is about the thickness of quality writing paper so you are very close to the lands at that and not all rifles/calibres give their best stuck into the rifling.

Once you have a good working load and it will be good with the AI, you can experiment going closer or farther from the lands.

Good luck, its always great when you find the combination that really sizzles.

Redfox

Redfox,

Foxshot is loading for 223 Ackley so he should be fine using a published max 223 load for fireforming. He also needs the bullets well into the lands to produce a nice new crisp 223 AI case :blink:

I second what Gary said. I've a .22-250 Ackley, when fireforming you need the bullet into the lands to keep the head space correct and a stiffish load to blow the case out and form nice sharp shoulders.

Cheers

Dave

Archived