venison/game sausages n burgers

sauer

heres a post on our (brother and i ) sausages n burgers, we keep all beasts we shoot and process em and put em in the freezer for oursels and friends n family, if we shot much more then would maybe consider pputting em to a game dealer ,,, but i do enjoy taking it fae the hill to yoyr plate

VENISON SAUSAGES

We do make our own falvours but recently been buying form scobies direct and getting butcher packs complete with all falvouring and rusk,, heres some below we bought and trying

new yorker sausage mix

cajun sausage mix

cheddar & spring onion sausage mix

pork & leek sausage mix (with a leek food processed to mush n thrown in also)

sun dried meditereanean tomato sausage mix & burger mix

angus steak burger mix

As said above, last 2 or 3 years since we started sausages n burgers we have been experimenting ourselves just throwning stuff in to try, the proper bought buthcer packs are a fairly new thing for us ( brother & i , shoot together and just split everything 50/50 )

when we started one o my neighbours ...is a butcher in local butcher shop so i just knocked on his door and asked if could show me...which he did gladly in return for some vension....

all we did was buy butchers rusk and a base powder seasoning either beef or pork ( powder butchers use for their sausages) we would put in a little of the seasoning regardless of what flavours we attempted just as a base and butcher rusk then water and mix till ready......

we found that roughly 5 or 6lbs of mince was a handy "batch" size for tescos wash hand basins that i bought purposely for mixing vension, and they are cheap!!!

on top of the rusk n seasoning ...thats when fun started!!!!!!!!

heres some of our "homemade" flavourings

wierd but works....strwaberry jam 1 large jar to 5 or 6 lbs mince bloody good

cranberry jelly 2 jars of ocean spray ...still do this one its ace

spring onions 6 bunches fae tesco mushed to pulp in food processor ...sausages are ace

brown sauce decent whole bottle....think bout it.....full of its own spices bloody good too

now i wanterd to make my own "cheese burger" so thought bout making 2 thinner burgers and sandwhiching cheese atwen them.... but

lass told me to grate a whole block o cheese and mix thru the mince then burger as usual ....WOW ACE!!!!!!!!!!!

so just play...if flavour aint to your liking dont do it agian !!! and im really enjoying making them then having a taster session after cleaning up!!!

sausageslinked.jpg

sausageslinked3.jpg

this one was on my mates boat after a days scuba diving vension burger rolls and fresh lobster mmm

venisonburgers.jpg

venisonsauasages.jpg

we started with tesco freezer bags and vacuum packer & sticky labels ...sounds like hard work but doesnt take much longer and what a difference!!!! you can tell what you got in the freezer and coz i date it i can rotate new stuff to bottom and work older stuff to top o freezer to use!

vennysausages.jpg

heres links to my burger press

http://www.sausage-maker.co.uk/products.php?catid=16

AND YOU NEED THE DISCS FOR DEFINATE!!!

heres our mincer

http://bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?Product...amp;ClassID=211

altho we got it cheaper think it was bout 150 quid but worth it

and sausage stuffer similar to ours ..ours was 90 quid bit cheaper from bushwear also

http://www.sausage-maker.co.uk/products.php?catid=3

i love experimenting.....i refuse to buy meat from a super market now butcher or home shot/caught....

starting to muck bout with rabbit too now and hopefully this year pheasant also

my brother went into local butcher bought a whole front leg of a pig...we boned it out ourselves and made our own pork bangers and the butcher only charged him 12 quid!!!!

i buy my pork belly from butchers without rind on and no bones and usually always add as a rough guide just a pound of prok belly to 5 or 6 pound of vension just to take that"leaness"" of off it other wise if not carefull they dry out real quick

all the best

sauer

Good recipes there Sauer, I do sausages and burgers too. I have found Scobies to be spot on and reasonable prices. The natural salted skins are best and if you keep them cool and dry they last for ages. Apple either dried or fresh grated is good to add too and I bought some mixed herbs at the deer fair ( bloke goes to other game fairs too ) which are good. A good splash of port goes well and keeps them moist, dont forget you need a fair bit of belly pork fat to keep them from going like leather when cooked ( about 20-25% ), I couldnt bring myself to waste good whiskey in them I just drank it while making them instead :) .

Another great site is here: http://www.sausagemaker.com/ including recipes and equipment, they had an outlet here but the website seems down at the moment.

Redfox

Wow it must be that time of year for laying in stores. They look good! I just finised with my first batch or damson cheese - not as cheesy as it sounds a rich port like jelly that is easy to make and great with meat or game a bit like redcurrant but free in all the hedgerows :)

Wow it must be that time of year for laying in stores. They look good! I just finised with my first batch or damson cheese - not as cheesy as it sounds a rich port like jelly that is easy to make and great with meat or game a bit like redcurrant but free in all the hedgerows :)

Hi BB, how about posting the recipe then for all us hungry devils? Loads of fruit around this year so it will help us make the best of it.

Regards

Gareth

i use these guys for my skins now

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/

i just tried the natural hog casings for bout 8 quid summit anf for that you get 8 sticks of casing with 5 yards on each works out about 11 quid incl postage.

found them to be good for not breaking but not thick or chewy...just bout a batch of their sheepcasings but not tried em yet.

good service

sauer

Not a problem!

Damson Cheese

Take clean damsons and put in pan with about 3 fl oz water (as little as you can get away with to stop them sticking) to 1lb damsons and cook slowly till pulp.

pass through sieve to remove stones and skin. For every pint of juice add 1oz butter and 1lb sugar warm until all desolved.

Bring to boil and boil until setting point is reached then pour in to sterilized jars. Those with straight sides are best as it will until be easier to serve as it can get quite hard with age. Alternatively I put a small quantity in ramikins and freeze. Will keep similar to jam but since sugar content is less use within a year or stick a bit in the freezer just in case. Yield is a little over 1/2 lb for every 1/2 pint of juice.

Use with game (of course) in gravy and stews. I think it is a bit like port (probably its colour) and would use where I normally use redcurrant Jelly etc

Try this, Lucas Spanish Spicey Sausage mix, one pack (about 450g I think) added to 5kg of venison haunch meat (you can use shoulder or trim but haunch makes a higher quality burger) Dice the venison then add the mix and ensure a good covering on all the cubes. Leave overnight in the chiller in a sealed bag if possible. Put through mincer and then press into burgers. Bloody lovely! Spicey enough to be different but not so hot that you have to leave a bog roll in the fridge and sleep in your running spikes!If you really want a great cheese burger, serve with goats cheese in a good quality, fresh bun. JC

Archived