Girls enjoy shooting too.

charly hunter

Well guys this week it has been my fortune to be able to spend some time out shooting with my daughter. She is not a shooter, yet but she is dead keen enjoys being out in the countryside with me shooting, fishing or just out with the dogs. There are not to many 15 yr old girls that will gut and skin rabbit help carry dead foxes etc and she is good with the lamp also, although she loves lamping this week on the few days she had off from work we went shooting during day light. The first day we were only out for an hour or so as I had to get to the vet to pick up one of my dogs after she had an operation on one of her paws. So the short time we have we went for a wonder across a few fields of hay that have been partly cut. It was a warm day with a gentle westerly wind hardly enough to worry about the windage anyway, I knew there were foxes in this area as this is where my son and I have cleared up a few recently. Although this area is bouncing with rabbits we never saw one.

We came to a gateway which looked across a few fields towards a camping sight we stood quietly for a few minutes just watching to see what is about, as the hay in this field has not yet been cut I wasn't expecting to see Charley wondering about but although there are no foot paths here that doesn't stop the happy campers from going where they like. Well all was quiet apart from a few 2 fields away with these big kites so my daughter squat down against the hedge so she wouldn't be seen so easily and pulls he hood over her head from her camo hoodie, I hadn't made more than 3 calls and a fox came through the hedge almost onto her back, saw me and took off. (I can understand that) My daughter stayed calm and after a minute or so I whispered to her to say we would move to the other gateway.

We now had moved to the next gateway which meant we had to walk past were the fox had come from and gone back to. Again making sure there was no one in the field (the best I could) I gave a quick squeak and in a flash I saw the fox bolt out of the hedge not 10 yds from where I had seen it a little while ago, but as soon as it had hit the ground I could no longer see it as the hay was so long, so I kept making a few mouse squeaks and this guy just couldn't help himself, I got him into about 20 yds as I wanted to be sure of him as even as this range he was well hidden, but with just a slight pressure on the trigger and there was a crack, thwack and then silence as the folks playing with there kites all stood looking across towards us but not knowing exactly where we were. The 90gr nosler from the 243 made sure this guy was not going anywhere so we just stayed quietly in the hedge until everyone went back to doing there own thing and not a soul saw us as we stood taking pic or walking back across the fields where I was also taking pics of some pretty butterflies etc.

middaycharleylf2.jpg

On leaving here we had our lunch and then headed off to the vets, whilst waiting in the vets a woman came in to collect a dog and we got chatting and it turned out that she has some ground just a few miles from the vets and has a fox problem, then another guy said he has suffered big losses to his fowl recently. Not wanting to say to much to soon and end up risking upsetting someone and then end up with my wind screen inside out I let them talk a bit until I was sure they were OK with what I do at this point the guy was called in so I said to the lady I'd be happy to have a go at them for her. Well the up shot was I turned up on her ground that evening with my daughter, met her and her hubby they showed me about and then went off home, within 20 minutes of them leaving I had shot the dog fox which has been bold as brass coming right up to the fowl and piglets in broad day light and then only walking away while the woman is thrown brooms and things at him.

Well his boldness was his undoing as he got a 90 grainer through the chest and out through his gut at just 30yds. As arranged with he owners I left him for them to dispose of and the following morning I got a phone call to say thanks and the guy is going to have words with all his neighbours who are also suffering as there are several foxes in the area and apparently the guy opposite paid some guy to shoot the foxes as this person was recommended and the guy turned up sat in the middle of a field for 3 hours with a shot gun never fired a shot a got £75 for his trouble......I must be doing something wrong :P

Well what a good day this was, a great day out with my daughter 2 foxes and some new land to boot;) and home at a reasonable hour, what a lucky bas*$*d I am :lol::P

nancecoosedogfoxom0.jpg

My 12 y/o daughter likes to assist me on my lamping and bunnie bashing outings, she also loves to come stalking with me and is not afraid to get stuck in with the gory bits, she shot her first rabbit when she was 8.

l hope that it will continue, l suppose we will have to see what happens when the boys start sniffing around.

Guest varmartin

Well done Nigel ...an enjoyable day with your daughter too. :lol:

Ps... I would have shot the fox too if it ran off with my hunting knife :P

Martin

Good going there nigel :P:lol: I know when i took my 8 year old girl out with me hunting it made me so proud :P:P

All the best................

RAY..................... ;):P

Archived