mark-taffy,6mmBR+500yrds=2 rabbits

mark-taffy

After a very successful tuesday evening shooting rabbits at 200-250yrds myself and 6mmBR decided a return visit last night for another round long distance bunny bashing .

Arrived at the farm at 6pm weather overcast and very little wind ,met up with the farmers nephew dan who by now was chomping at the bit after his 187yrd shot on tuesday :D .we headed out to the cliffs and set up camp at our usual spot overlooking 4-5 fields , dave got his binos out and glassed a field he spotted two bunnys in a corner of one of the long fields ,after giving it a quick laser to reveal a whopping 505yrds ;) dave said ill have to have a go at him and set his rifle up adjusting the elevation on his scope BANG as he sent his 52gn berger on its way fom his 22-250 AI it was a little to low but the rabbit didnt even flinch ,watching through my rifle i saw his shot was a tad low couple more clicks and spat it was goodnight .it was a remarkable shot as you cannot see these rabbits with the naked eye and dave was a happy man ;) ;) .

A quick look though the scope the second bunny was still out another laser showed it out to 489yrds just 11 yds out from the 500yrd club ;) ,I took aim giving 3 milldots of elevation i took the shot from my .223 using 55grn nosler , i also shot a little low but on the second shot i went 3.5 mildots down to watch the rabbit roll over dead ;) ;) . i was gobsmacked as the distance is extreme to what i normaly shoot .

A very good evening and carryed on shooting 8 bunnys 175-250 yrds and spotted 2 lamp shy foxes but it was the 1st two we shot made our evening .

Dave will be posting pics later to show the view over the field .

mark

As Mark said what an awesome night. With us living on the coast a night without any wind is rare, so we had to make the most of it.

We got down the farm around 6pm and headed off to are shooting point. We had eyed up this one field up on Tuesday and range found it to 515 yds to the top corner, we said Tuesday if a bunny came out the shot would be on.

When we arrived we glassed the field and there were 2 sitting out one at 505yds and the other at 489 yds.

This is the view from behind my rifle, the rabbits are in the top of the green grass field running along the shore.

DSCF0106.jpg

The 52 grain Berger expanded well at that distance

DSCF0111.jpg

Marks shot was superb and I watched it through the bino's the 55 Noslers did the job

DSCF0113.jpg

We were both over the moon and it will be a night to remember for a long long time :P

That Ackley is superb and so chuffed it got me into the 500 yd club :lol:

Thanks again Mark great memorable night.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

That was very good shooting lads ...bet you had an awesome night after those shots?

Who else is in the 500 yard club ? and when do we get our badges .. :lol:

Martin

It was a great night out. I'm a member of the American Varmint Hunters association, shame Mark is not a member to witness my shot. Never mind I'm absolutely chuffed to bits to have pulled the shot off.

Maybe catch you next weekend Martin.

Cheers

dave

Guest varmartin

I will try and catch up with you but sadly i have to work all weekend so no shooting :lol:

Ray and I are both members of the VHA also.

Martin

Well fellas really proud for the both of you :lol::P

Always more awesome when you have a varminting buddies to witness and experience it as well!!!! :P :P

Some nice photos too!!!!!!!!

All the very best...............

RAY............................. ;):P

Guest 308Panther

Awesome view...

Do everything ya can to protect it too....

Seems once someone finds a good lookin area over here,they turn it into a Golf Course. :lol:

308Panther

Well fellas really proud for the both of you :lol::P

Always more awesome when you have a varminting buddies to witness and experience it as well!!!! :P:P

Some nice photos too!!!!!!!!

All the very best...............

RAY............................. ;):P

i think we should have a section for the 500 and up club members,and start our own official club with its own rules,get some stuff made up and do the job properly,

what do you lot think??????

ATB

Colin :D

that which promotes growth and vigour nearly forgot to say, well done chaps some out standing shooting

i think we should have a section for the 500 and up club members,and start our own official club with its own rules,get some stuff made up and do the job properly,

ATB

Colin :lol:

that which promotes growth and vigour nearly forgot to say, well done chaps some out standing shooting

That is a good idea ,there looks like there is a few now only problem is if i do ever get one over 500 i wouldnt have a legitimet witness as my shooting budy isnt a member and has no intrest in becoming one unless i had a day out with a member that lives not to far away but i supose at the end of the day i would know i had done it

Guest 308Panther

Just repeating what I was told...

Pin the remnants to your jacket....

I am still not sure how one would combat the odor,tho... :lol:

308Panther

ATB

Colin :lol:

A very good idea colin , shall run it past martyn see what he thinks - perhaps we should have a photos and story section called 300YDS / 400YDS / 500YDS and up!! ( oh er missis :P;) )

All the best lads....................

RAY....................... :P :P

A very good idea colin , shall run it past martyn see what he thinks - perhaps we should have a photos and story section called 300YDS / 400YDS / 500YDS and up!! ( oh er missis :lol::P )

All the best lads....................

RAY....................... :P;)

i might look in to getting some patches made up,and some badges.

just need Martyn's permission, and a list of rules making up.

atb

Colin

i might look in to getting some patches made up,and some badges.

just need Martyn's permission, and a list of rules making up.

atb

Colin

Top chap there colin :D;)

Some idea of a design to go on a patch - i must admit i have been thinking of a ukvarminting t-shirts for quite a while!!!!

Thought of a extra logo like " NOTHING SMACKS , QUITE LIKE A V-MAX!! " :lol::D

Or you could have " HAVE SOME FUN , WITH A CENTREFIRE GUN!! " :P :P

Sorry got carried away there!! :P :P

All the best..............

RAY................... :D:P

Im afraid i have not got time to sort it out but if anyone would like to do it they are more than welcome to.Perhaps start another thread in the general section so everyone can pool their ideas etc.

Congrats Dave and Mark btw :D

Im afraid i have not got time to sort it out but if anyone would like to do it they are more than welcome to.Perhaps start another thread in the general section so everyone can pool their ideas etc.

Congrats Dave and Mark btw :D

Okay , thanks for that martyn :(:D

I shall as Martyn says - open a thread in the general discussions during the week :D

Well done on those long shots lads :(:D

All the best..............

RAY.................. :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was out fishing on the boat yesterday, I took this snap from the boat looking inshore at the fields we had the long shoots from.

We were on the top of the rocks on the left of the picture and the rabbits were in the top corner of the light brown field to the far right of the picture. It sure puts things into perspective.

DSCF0160.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Archived