why are them deer running

me and remington65 were out yesterday evening trying for a fAllow buck got there about 7.15pm only to see the farmer in the field still working ,that we were hopeing to shoot a buck in he went in a few mins,so we set up to wait ,after about an hour out came a doe with a young doe fawn in tow ,we watched them for about 3/4 of an hour untill what we think was her last year doe came out to join them to feed ..so two quite big doe`s and one fawn after some time the young fawn was having a right good time runing round the field ,afew mins later ,they all looked up ..we were thinking a buck maybe coming in to the field ,then they all run to the edge of the field and out of sight ,it was not a buck but a fox that was chaseing the doe`s .quick thinking by remington65 and a quick call stopped it in its tracks ..the 7mm 140gn bullet hit its chest front on with such a lowed thud :lol: he wont be chaseing them deer again :rolleyes: it was only a 3/4 grown cub but of good size .never mind it was neally time for home any way.. have not shot any deer yet ,down to the main bit of ground i use have not cut the grass yet and at 3ft tall i would never find a deer in low light ..fingers crossed they cut it soon ..any body else seen things chaseing deer ect why you was out ?

DSC00400.JPG

A few years back I was glassing the edge of a large wood and saw two fallow bucks running erratically through a field of long grass, they were working their way towards me, oblivious to my truck. A munty buck was the reason for their behaviour and he burst out of the ditch onto the track I was parked on with the two bucks still in pursuit. The bucks clocked the truck and took off, the muntie stopped, unfortunately for him we have a shoot on sight policy for munties and he copped an 85gr spitzer.

I'd never seen this behaviour before or since. I've seen buck munties driving others out of their territory but never fallow chasing munties.

Pete

PS. Fallow quite commonly vacate an area when a fox is in the vicinity.

Archived