There is no better way to spend a Sunday morning!

Well believe it or not this week has been a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows. Millpool and I have been waiting since last November for this week as week had booked to go stalking for 3 days in Ayrshire. We set off at 4am on Monday and drove for 10hrs arriving at “Garyloop” near Girvan at just after 2pm. We then spent 3 days (5 stalks) in spectacular scenery but not a legal bl**dy deer in site. We did see a few does and “Millpool” did see a cracking buck but it did not hang around long enough to get a shot. All that said it was an enjoyable 4 days with stunning scenery and excellent hosts.

post-3622-1249228943_thumb.jpg post-3622-1249228922_thumb.jpg

Anyway feeling a tad disappointed I was delighted to get a phone call from “silentsoles” last night (Saturday) inviting me out this morning for an early one. So we met up at his at 4:30 this morning and after a quick detour to McDonalds on the way we arrived at our stalking location at 5:00. The farmer has recently cleared large areas of drainage along the fields so as we slowly made our way to the prime area we were amazed by the large number of slot marks, even right up the gateway that leads to the road. 3 fields in and silent gestured to the right hand side of the gate. I looked through the scope and it was an older doe that was just having breakfast. She hesitated for a little while and then worked out that something wasn’t right and was off. We followed the left hand edge of the field heading for the large cleared area and woodland fringe. Just as we reached the corner we could hear hooves on the other side of the hedge. A deer jumped into the clearing but looking through the scope it was obviously another doe. We then heard the warning bark of an attending Buck but couldn’t see him. She then disappeared but the adrenaline was racing “there be bucks about”. So carefully we made our way along the drainage ditch following the slot marks. As we turned the corner I spotted a deer at about 60yrds. The first look suggested a buck that at this stage was oblivious to our presence. I raised the rifle to confirm it was a buck and then indicated to Jamie that we were on. He gave me the thumbs up so I aimed for a chest shot and “boom”. I reloaded and waited but the Buck was motionless on the floor. We went to check on it at it had been a clean kill. After a quick hand shake and congratulations all round we set in to do the gralloch.

post-3622-1249228930_thumb.jpg post-3622-1249228937_thumb.jpg

The next issue was the mile and a half walk back to the care, so as I finished the deer, Jamie when to get a branch to suspend the carcass between us. We hocked the deer and then spent the next half hour getting back to the car sweaty by in very high spirits. We squeezed the Roe into Jamies Roe box and packed it into the car.

We finished the morning with an hour’s pigeon shooting with decoys, nothing really doing but nothing could really spoil the morning. We decided to cut our losses and go back to Jamie’s and butcher the deer with a cup of tea and more banter about the mornings outing. Yet another big thank you to Silent for an excellent morning out and some nice venison for tea tonight. Like the title says “There is no better way to spend a Sunday morning”.

Guest varmartin

It was nice to catch up with you this morning Simon...and a big well done taking that very nice Roe Buck.... :wub:

Jamie is an excellent host, and knows where the Deer are, hope the `big mack` didn`t spoil your Venison fillets ...

It was nice to catch up with you this morning Simon...and a big well done taking that very nice Roe Buck.... ;)

Jamie is an excellent host, and knows where the Deer are, hope the `big mack` didn`t spoil your Venison fillets ...

Cheers Martin, good to meet you too. Hope you all had a good blast Sunday afternoon.

Sorry to hear your trip to Scotland was unfruitful :D but i bet the scenery was breathtaking!! :D

So glad to hear things looked up for you when you came home and had a trip out with Jamie!!

Well done buddy!!!! ;):lol:

All the best............

RAY............................

Archived