Wish we had some of these.

My mate keepers an estate in Surrey and phoned up to see if I had a few days to spare to nail some fox now some of the crops are down.

So I'm off work and just have to oblige, like you do.

Wednesday afternoon he says take the quad and go and have a look on an 80acre wheat field that had yet to be touched as there had been a decent buck seen over the past few days, and because it was on the boundary the poachers would have it if I didn't.

I pull up next to a wood and glassed the field and spotted a buck and a doe browsing about 400yds away.

I'd like to describe a classic stalk but I merely crawled parallel to the field to look down the wheeling the buck stood in, ranged him at 280yds, no chance of closing so popped the legs down and settled for him to present for the shot. With .243AI and 70gr Blitzking it wasn't too great a challenge.

I phones my mate up and informs him and he says he'll pick it up if I wanted to carry on to where I was going to sit out for a fox.

I get a shot before dark and a vixen is gone to fox heaven. Get's back to his cottage and the bugger's got the buck in freezer and that's why I've only got a couple of pics of his head.

A nice buck, just a shame he'd snapped the top tip of right hand antler off, he's still going to be mounted though, as we have no roe in our area.

021.jpg

020.jpg

Usual apologies for the crap pics, you can make out the broken tip on the top right hand antler.

Happy days.

Pete.

Thats a nice wee head that. I cant believe you dont have any Roe round you ? or is it just good bucks you dont have ?.

Ads

We're up to our necks in fallow and munties but no roe unfortunately.

Pete.

Do you want to swap ? ill send you down a van of Roe and you fill it with munties :blush::lol::lol: . Ive got some great ground for munties as well. shame we dont have any up here ;)

Ads

i stalked a friends patch just south of you pete, last year when i was down puntgunning the wash, got a cracking munty and a fallow calf, couldnt believe it when my mate who had the stalking said there was no roe!!

And it seems such roe friendly ground aswell! nice buck there tho! think i need o make some time and get out after them, definitly going to be out in the rut! get the old blotto call goin again :blush:

We used to have a six man syndicate west of Lesmahagow in Ayrshire some years ago, 8000 acres of forestry, not many beasts on the ground and hard going to find them but we used to enjoy it. Rising fuel costs and expensive digs made me drop out in the end. Where I shot the buck earlier in the week they shoot around 20 per annum to keep the estate farmers happy.

The other place I get to shoot a few a year is when I visit a friend in Argyll when we help out with the hind cull.

I'd like to think one day we'll have a few on our ground but I'm afraid they're shot long before they get a chance to get to ours by the first idiots that spot them after they've crossed the A1 which seems to be a cut off point and only the occasional animal strays west.

Use a buttolo call round here and another silly muntie buck will come trotting up, bloody things are a pain in the arse. More than a few fallow stalks are buggered up each season by mollies, I hate the little tombola.

Pete.

well at least you have some sort of deer. In this whole valley we have maybe 5 munties, Roe have been seen this year as has a single fallow but no stable deer population at all.

A

A friend of mine says he shoots a few fallow and an awfull lot of foxes around F----ley but here our first fallow doe was spotted this spring, only the once and not seen again. Ours come up the railway line I think.

How's that new barrel going?,

A

Aren't you glad we helped you with your choice Andy? You can't shoot that gun enough now you've got your loads sorted. I can't remember ever seeing anyone in such a hurry to get their nut behind the butt when there's a target to ping. :D

Geoff, you simply don't have the extensive woodland for fallow to settle in, as a herd animal they need what they feel is a safe retreat for the does to spend longish periods in cover after giving birth to fawns.

Shoot those munties and make a bit of room for the roe that are slowly creeping into your area.

Pete.

The new barrel is going very well indeed. A good choice of calber after being nagged all the way

from Derbyshire by Chris and Pete.......

I live in the next village to F.....y and pass through there every day. We just combined 250 acres of Barley

there last week but I didn't see any Fallow at all. (Or foxes so your pal must be doing a good job!)

He and a few friends have taken on what used to be the big shoot there, no one had done anything with the foxes for some years and they were instructed by the owners to get stuck into them. Over 50 since 1st Feb last time I saw him.

Was that barrel in 260Rem?, got a feeling in my water that you moved from 6.5x47 or did you stay with it.

A

Those Diamond line are the mutt's Andy.To be honest when you shoot with them you'll wonder why you bother to load. After you've shot them you'll end up with some cracking brass and I'll give you £20 a hundred for them so they're not wasted in that old nail of yours. :lol:

Pete.

The first was indeed .260Rem, since then I've also moved from my shot out .243 to 6BR.

Both are superb rifles!!

So you are still running a 6.5x47 then?.

We often see here and elsewhere relative newcomers look for more velocity and bigger pills to throw completely overlooking the fact that its accuracy that kills not velocity or weight. This is an excellent example of a wise old hand coming down the power/weight scale and finding superior accuracy coupled to ample energy on target.

A

Archived