Out with my son

charly hunter

Last night was, I thought going to be a short night as on the way out we could see the mist in the valley and the dark clouds coming over the beacon, so it looked as though we were going to get wet. We continued to our destination hoping to get maybe an hour before the rain came. It was a warm balmy night, I opened the first gate just before dark, you know the time, when it's not quite dark enough for the lamp but yet it is almost to dark to see very far. My son and I were after a fox that has been causing a lot of problems to the local fowl population. I have already taken the dog and two cubs, one of which had mange and was a scrawny looking thing, but still the fowl are disappearing so I haven't' got the one with a taste for chicken.

My son was on the back of the truck with his .22 as I drove quietly around just 4 small fields amounting to about 15 acres, out of these fields there are 4 hedges that can't be shot because the hedge is to low, a house or a road are adjoining the hedge. by the time we got half way around he had shot 17 rabbits and without us even noticing the moon had crept up and all the cloud had vanished, Ideal night for Charley I thought, there was still enough wind and the moon is not to bright and the call would carry a long way on a night like this. Tonight with the south westerly wind all my favourite calling places would have us sitting with the wind in our favour.

After these 4 fields we crossed the road to another 35 acres which had not yet been cut totally, so we had a drive across the cut hay keeping to the hedges and normally I would expect to shoot 20 plus here we only saw 2 rabbits. on entering the 2nd field there was a well grown cub just 25-30 yds from us but my son couldn't see it as it was behind the furze in the hedge, if only I had gone through the gateway another 2 feet he would have had him. So off he went and instead of heading for cover as they so often do, this one just went around the corner staying on the cut hay, so I drove straight the to hedge turned the lamp at right angles to see him sat at the other end of the field. Quickly and quietly out onto the bonnet with the .243 and a few seconds later a loud bark brakes the silence followed by a thump and it was one nil to me ;) Another poor cub with mange.

mangycubny7.jpg

There was nothing else to be seen here but I shall be back here real soon as they haven't finished cutting yet.

So back to the first 4 fields and another trip around them to finish the fields at 00.35 hrs and a total of 43 rabbits :D

Now after a coffee we did the last 20 acres in the is area which was bailed yesterday and this is were I took 3 foxes the night they were cutting it. The very first field we went into I saw the mistakable glow of eyes just 80 yds and watched him go over the hedge. So quietly down the lane to the bottom meadows and park up for ten minutes before turning a light on or making a call. After just 2 calls we had a visitor sneaking about in a drainage ditch, so change tactics sit quietly and then after 10 minutes I used a woodpecker call and sure enough out he comes, another mangy cub, I brought him into 20 yds and my son put one between his eyes, game over........Or it should have been. But this bugger must have been related to robocop, because after another 10 minutes of calling this little chap gets to his feet and starts to walk off. Now walking broadside to us my son put another one in it's head just behind the eye, we goes over to look at it and it is still going so a third shot was needed. This guy might be small and mangy but the bugger got some stamina.

scubev1.jpg

By this time it had gotten colder and the scope kept fogging up so we had a quick look around to finish the night at 01.25 hrs and two more rabbits making a total of 45 rabbits and two foxes :D and a bloody good night out with my son.

This was the last rabbit shot, one side looked like a wild one the other looked like a pet one.

poorbunnyoj7.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Wow,

45 bunnies and 2 fox...Pretty cool.

Its good seein a Father-Son team out sharin some trigger time.

Thats gonna make some lasting memories too.

I look forward to every chance I can to get out with my father and do some huntin together,

Wether its bowhunting deer,or Turkey with the shotguns,Squirrels w/ the .17 and .22 Mags or

even a bit of fly fishin.

Great stuff for the mental VCR...

308Panther

Archived