Warwickshire Firearms Department

eric

last wednesday about 10am I took both mine and my wife,s Fac,s ( Joan was with me) in to have a Tikka 243 reinstated on my cert. and a variation on my wife,s for a Sako 243 which was on my cert paid the 26 quid was told it would be in the post by saturday. around 1 oclock recived a phone call both cert,s where ready if we would like to pick them up .If we could not make befor 4pm they would be in the post for the next day .How,s that for good service? Eric.

you would never get that at staffordshire :(

Sorry to be a grumpy old man but why do people feel the need to comment when Firearms departments do the job they are paid for? I don't see anyone writing to Shooting Times or posting on the interweb when I deliver some venison on time. At the end of the day, a straight forward variation involves five minutes of typing, twenty seconds of printing, twenty seconds to laminate a bit of paper then bung it in the post. I wish I could earn £26 as easy as that! Not forgetting that you are paying the guys wages with your poll tax anyway! I am the first to say please and thank-you for good service but lets not get carried away. JC

Guest varmartin

Totally agree......dont start on the paying for it twice bit .....and do they still call it `Poll tax` up your way ...LOL

I`m gonna have another G & T....and chill for a bit ...

hi guys,

well i have posted about the efficency of the warwickshire firearms dept before and as said they are a very helpful group of people.

now the beauty of these guys is they reconise that they dont know everything and will willingly give you the phone number or contact details of people that they use for advise firearms importers or builders etc. so when you get back to them they will work with you and in most cases you can get somewhere near to what you want and they are happy with.

now as for charges erics orginal post was for a varaition which if i am correct in my thinking but stand to be corrected the fee for which is set by the home office so it is the same all over the country as is a renewal fee. but these guys will give exactly the same service as eric received on a one for one . in my own experience i was granted a variation for a 243 win to clear the deer in our tb troubles and my new ticket was waiting ready for me in the time it toook to drive to police hq after putting the phone down . a similar service was provided when enquiring about a one for one when changing my 308 after stock troubles would of required as much to be spent to fix it as what i could buy my remmy 700 for.

now jc has a problem with us praising them for doing the job they are paid for so what i think credit is due where you get the service you expect now the warwickshire lads and lasses will start chasing you if your paper work isnt getting back to them in time as they like to keep on top of there game and get your ticket and visit done before it runs out thus saving both us and them hassel but how often have we seen letters and stories about people asking what they have to do as there ticket has expired and they are in a pickle or the grant of a ticket is taking 20 weeks .

now if a bit of praise was expressed a bit more often might we just jerk at the strings of those firearms depts that arent quite as efficient or are we dreaming here in warwickshire.

graham.

hi guys,

well i have posted about the efficency of the warwickshire firearms dept before and as said they are a very helpful group of people.

now the beauty of these guys is they reconise that they dont know everything and will willingly give you the phone number or contact details of people that they use for advise firearms importers or builders etc. so when you get back to them they will work with you and in most cases you can get somewhere near to what you want and they are happy with.

now as for charges erics orginal post was for a varaition which if i am correct in my thinking but stand to be corrected the fee for which is set by the home office so it is the same all over the country as is a renewal fee. but these guys will give exactly the same service as eric received on a one for one . in my own experience i was granted a variation for a 243 win to clear the deer in our tb troubles and my new ticket was waiting ready for me in the time it toook to drive to police hq after putting the phone down . a similar service was provided when enquiring about a one for one when changing my 308 after stock troubles would of required as much to be spent to fix it as what i could buy my remmy 700 for.

now jc has a problem with us praising them for doing the job they are paid for so what i think credit is due where you get the service you expect now the warwickshire lads and lasses will start chasing you if your paper work isnt getting back to them in time as they like to keep on top of there game and get your ticket and visit done before it runs out thus saving both us and them hassel but how often have we seen letters and stories about people asking what they have to do as there ticket has expired and they are in a pickle or the grant of a ticket is taking 20 weeks .

now if a bit of praise was expressed a bit more often might we just jerk at the strings of those firearms depts that arent quite as efficient or are we dreaming here in warwickshire.

graham.

Sorry Graham, no offence intended, it's great that you have a very good relationship with your local Police, thats how it should be. Let me put my point another way; does anyone publicly praise the binmen each week when they do their job efficiently? How about another example; does anyone write in to praise Traffic Wardens when they give you a ticket! These are people who we are only paying for once. (ok, you have to pay a fine with the Traffic Warden example but that is as a punishment not a payment for a service) I can honestly say that I have never met a FLO who really knew much about firearms (not saying that there aren't any, just that I haven't met one) I often wonder if I would be able to hold down my job if I knew so little about my subject and, more importantly, most of my 'customers' knew more about it than I did. Best wishes, JC

hi jc,

none taken was just trying to make a point regardless of where you are in the uk we are all governed by the same firearms laws so why shouldnt you get the same service as me , idont think giving our warwickshire lads a bit of praise can hurt. it would be really enlighting to find out which constabularies the basc and other groups have to get envolved with on or behalf most often have a sneeky suspion that warks might be some where near the bottom of the league table.

graham.

Its crazy that they can't all sing from the same sheet, someone told me that the average domestic type laptop has enough memory/horsepower/gigawobbles to easily administrate all the FAC,RFD and SGC records in the UK. Why do they make such hard work of it? Not saying that I would want the job but then I don't claim to be an administrator. One thing that is painfully obvious is that it should be handled nationally rather than regionally. DVLA seems to work ok and there are millions of drivers and vehicles. JC

Whoops It looks like I stirred it up a bit. I for one belive that if praise is due then give it. As for the binmen when they do the job properly then they to will be praised.but not when they leave half the rubbish strewn in the street. and refuse to empty the bins because the lid of the bin is slighly ajar.

and I also object to having to take my bins have way down the street because they no longer come round to the rear of the property like they used to do. as for traffic wardens I have no experience of them nor do I wish to. Eric.

South Wales Police are normally good with dealing with FAC's. 1 for 1 variations take around a week including the weekend.

Archived