A few off the stuble

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

Got out onto the stubble at long last tonite ;) Useing the red filter on the Lightforce worked a treat on this year's cub,s ;) We got 4 in total BUT missed 2 :rolleyes:

Am i the only one that struggles with red filters???? for the 15 years i have used red filters this time of the year for the cubs but always struggle with distance shots i,e over 200 yrds plus it seems to be worse now with the Nightforce on the Steyr.

Anyway a few of pics of tonites haul ;)

03082007112.jpg

03082007114.jpg

03082007115.jpg

03082007117.jpg

Got out onto the stubble at long last tonite ;) Useing the red filter on the Lightforce worked a treat on this year's cub,s ;) We got 4 in total BUT missed 2 :rolleyes:

Am i the only one that struggles with red filters???? for the 15 years i have used red filters this time of the year for the cubs but always struggle with distance shots i,e over 200 yrds plus it seems to be worse now with the Nightforce on the Steyr.

Anyway a few of pics of tonites haul ;)

I gave up on red filters a couple of years ago for the same reasons. I use amber now, I can see clearly out to 200yds+.

Nice one northernchris :rolleyes:;) Looks like a good evening you had!!!

As for lamps i use the amber on me lightforce blitz 240 it works quite well , but must admit if they sit out far and the shot is safe - off comes the filter!!!!

I know charlie hunter like the green filter which is good too!! See what he thinks because i know he does alot of night shooting ;) ;)

All the best ...............

RAY................ :D;)

Guest 308Panther

Not a bad nights haul there NC...

Still did better than me,We had a good West wind at about 5 mph and the air temp was 77*F so we went down to the Government pier and tried our luck for some Salmon,Lake Perch or Lake Trout....Couple good bumps to jump start the ticker but didnt hook anything...Then the lower life forms decided to become irratating so we left....Seems they sell a fishing license to anyone.... :rolleyes:

May have to strap the fly rod to the bike and make a river run this weekend.....Hmmmm...that just might work......Its Friday and I feel a good case of the F.U Flu comin on....

308Panther

I have to agree with you lads, we packed in using a red filter years ago. I think because foxes are a reddy colour you don't get the terget contrast with the red filter. We use a normal white light with an adjustable reostat, doesn't seem to spook them much and you can crank up the power if need be.

Cheers

Dave

On grass Red is fine, but on stubbles it is bad even at 100 yds, I too use amber or green if they are further out. Its all to do with complementary colours, red fox on green grass the fox looks lighter and stands out, but on stubbles which are yellow ( near to red) they dont look different to the background, green filter can help as the fox looks darker then than stubbles. Amber filter the fox looks darker than the stubbles too then, but not a lot different than grass, you just have to try what works for you.

Redfox

As Varminter has said I have done a little bit of lamping over the years and as most have said the red filter is hardest to see with at distance, I have used all sorts over the years, but I still believe there is still a place for the red one. You have to ring the changes, it also pays to be vigilant whilst out at night, if you see others lamping in the area see what colour they are using as you may find that they have scared a few with a green lamp so if you should be using the same colour and Charlie sees it then he will be away with the wind. I do use the green filter a bit but I use a clear or white light most of all. The trick is not to put the lamp right on the fox as he may well have seen it all before, so you want to keep him just out of the light. Remember the guy looking through a scope can see a whole lot more then you can. If the guy with the scope say's put some more light on him you can bring the light up a little bit until it is seen clearly. But BEWARE you need to know your land intimately as you will not have a massive sight picture behind the fox. It is sometimes better to have the lamp above him and bring it down onto him, saying this it is something you will have to play with as all foxes are different some like the light below others don't. Best of all is that each time you go out and you miss some, as we all do, you might learn something from the experience ;)

At the moment I am about to try some coloured film I have got my hands on, these come in red, green, blue, orange and yellow and are not very strong in colour, but by doubling up the film you can make then stronger in colour, so I will be having a play real soon and I may even get around to letting you all know the out come. :D

I nearly forgot;

Well done pard on getting the one's you did, a better night than I had on the stubble. I took Millpool and Doug out until 02.00 hrs and all we managed was 16 rabbits we didn't see one fox on 900 acres, very odd. But there were 2 high lights of the night first was Millpool had his first long range bunny at 275 yds with his 223 so he was a happy teddy, and then we saw a lovely barn owl sat on a post over looking the stubble, that made my night.

I also gave up using a filter just cut the range of the lamp down to far plus was harder to distinguish targets the targets 100 % , sure made a mess of that fox NC

Archived