Out tonight

Redfox

Went out tonight and farmer had just gone for some chips after chatting , drove onto a stubble field and there were two pairs of eyes on the far side of the field, about 170 yds. Lined up on the bigger of the two and sqeezed off, saw it drop the other went to the right, reloaded and followed it in scope after about ten yards it stood looking my way aimed between eyes and squeezed again, saw it drop too. My lamp man said he saw to others run off to the side but we couldnt raise anything else.

Drove over to the first one and it was the vixen, the other was a well grown cub, took pic with 17 rem and put em in the box.

Back to the farm, farmer very pleased, but declined to skin them and eat them, very rich in protein I said and nice with chips, bugger off he said!

Half an hour later went into an adjoining field and the other two cubs playing in the hedge about 120 yds away, eventually one came forward and stood, easy shot, squeezed off and it ran. I hate that, not only not getting, it but it will be harder next time.

Eventually after a good look round decided the rape stubble was the problem as in this field, where the cub had been it was a foot long, so up to the top of its head, as its dark brown you just dont see it and even a 243 would have been deflected as it is hard and woody too, oh well another night it wont be so lucky! and without the vixen they will not be that hard to get. :lol:

P7290001.jpg

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

Nice Shooting RedFox...

Well, thats 2 less...

As for the ones that get away..it sucks.

Sometimes the easy shots are the hardest.

308Panther

Well I know now why it was un harmed. I was using up the last of the Rem factory ammo as it is ballistically supposed to be identical to my loads, the first two shots were with my loads, the next shot factory ammo, when I looked at the cases today before cleaning and sizing them, I noticed that one was dirty up the sides and the primer was hardly changed in shape. I knew it was the factory load as the crimp was still showing on the neck.

So I weighed all five I had left and they came in a lot lower than my rounds except for one. Pulled the bullets and 4 had 15.9 grs of whatever powder they use and one had 24 grs in!, that would be about right for a crimped load.

I use 24.5 of Varget which gives 4200fps and the factory stuff is supposed to be thereabouts too. I remember thinking that the shot was quiet but put it down to wide open field with no banks!

So I have another box of factory ammo and have weighed them, they have the same batch no and there are 8 out of 20 which are about 9 grs light so back to the shop with them as they are expensive and reloads only from now on. :lol:

Redfox

Good hunting there redfox :lol:;)

All the best..............

RAY.................. :D:P

Thanks lads, its just a nice change to get out, the land is still soft and wet but you can get round with care. One of the other farmers rang up tonight and says there are a family of foxes helping themselves to his ducklings. Have 25 freshly made rounds just for them and their friends. :lol:

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

Sounds like they will be well fed....

Over here we buy ammo at our own risk...there is no returning an unopened box,for any reason.

308Panther

Archived