6.5x55 Tikka T3 Varmint

Hi all,

just wondering if the 6.5x55 cal is any good and are the tikka t3 varmints any good? i want it for shooting out to 400-500 yards at varmints and also for closer foxes and the odd deer.

thanks

the_verminator

Now you have done it!!

Just wait for the carnage.

In short - a good calibre, but then there is plenty of choice in the 6.5 (260) and 6mm calibres, or even 25-06, but you will be slightly limited if you wish to stick with factory rifle/ammunition combination.

ATB

Malt

I am biased, i have a 6.5x55 and love it. I have never used it at long range but if you google it you will find allsorts of links to sites (mainly american) where folks talk of shooting at 1000yds with it. I think you would need to reload to get such performance from it.

I think the popular long range 6.5 is the 6.5x284, although I am sure there are others.

ft

Yes, the 260Rem will do most of what the 6.5x284 will using quite a bit less powder. Not a lot of advantage over a 6.5x55 though, If I were you I would get a scope with decent dialable turrets (NSX/Luepold etc) and give it a go with the T3.

A

cheers for that,

ft, i do plan or reloading, know any good loads?

V, no mate I am still learning and have not yet got my reloading kit, it's coming on my birthday. I have played with a friends kit, under instruction and we did 120gn Nosler BT's, 45.5 gn of Hodgdon H4350. I can't remember offhand the ogive and oal as Garry, my mentor, has them written down. All I can remember is that we played with how far off the lands to seat them and it was 10 thou off them that worked best, so far. I equalled but could not beat the 3/4" group that i got from the federal powershoks that i use normally. Moses and Tulkyuk have given some recipies to try, both used Varget, CCI BR primers, Norma and Lapua brass and oal s ranged from 2.945 to 2,850.

If you post asking about loads for the 6.5 I am sure they will help, I find this a great forum for advice.

Atb, ft

There are now reloading manuals on most bullet and powder manufacturers web sites. Get someone to teach you how to reload then you can start loading. You will need match bullets really but there is a wide variety of powders/primers that you can use.

A

I have a tikka 6.5x55 custom stock and trigger worked on, ziess 6-24x56. shoot rabbits at 500 m with it so no complaints with it, find it a good round for the stalking i do. my friend has just had his rifle rebarreled in 6.5x47 and that sounds a very efficent round could be worth a look from what i have heard. best of luck.

I have a Sako 75 S/S in 6.5 x 55 with a T8 mod and find that 140gn sierra gamekings with federal primers and Vihtavouri 160 at 42gns will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long, but my mate with his rifle which is the wooden stock version of mine has to put 44 gns of powder behind the bullet to get the same result. Also I've found with this load that it'll shoot 1" high at 100 and at 200 it's bang on which covers just about all my shooting needs.

For a wide selection of loads have a look ar the 'Loadbooks' manual ... about £8-10 with only 6.5x55 loads from various Bullet and Powder manufacturers. (1,104 loads)

There was an bit in Guns&Ammo Nov 2008 where they commented that:

"... Speer Manual 14 was the only one that actually separated the data, recognizing the difference between the older actions and newer more modern actions."

I have been told several times to "..look at the Sierra recommended 'accuracy load' for a given bullet weight, and work up to that as a good place to start."

I like the calibre.

jon

Archived