Yet another idea for the .300WM!

I've decided to scrap the heavy barrel rifle idea. I know my mind changes every 2 minutes but this rifle is really most likely to be used in Scotland for Reds or Canada for everything. After hauling my CZ Varmint about then selling it because it was too heavy I just don't think a heavy barrel is a good plan! I'm not a target shooter, so why buy a rifle for targets so I can use it once a year at a range plinking at knock down soldiers at 1000 yards?

Getting sensible (well sensible would be not buying it, but hey) I'm looking at a sporter now. Howa is cheap and could be worth a look? Another option is a Ruger Hawkeye in stainless and synthetic? Remingtons, well I seem to have talked myself into disliking them for some reason! That's apart from the fluted barrels they do, as they look nice!

What options do I have? Which would you choose out of the above guns? At under £600 screwcut I quite like the Howa if it will shoot!

njc, how about this;

Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 17:38, 26 Apr 09]BRNO .300 Win Mag 602 ZKK (SAFARI) Bolt Action new (R/H), £700 @ US$1,070/€793

Licence: Firearm, Barrel: 24", Stock: 14", Scope: Burris 4.5-14x44DescriptionTARGET RIFLE ACCURATE . SET TRIGGER FACILITY , EXTENDED BOLT KNOB .FIRED APPROX 50 RNDS . TOTALLY UNMARKED AND AS NEW . PERSONAL GUN . SO BUSY JUST DON`T HAVE TIME TO USE IT WHICH IS A CRYING SHAME . IT`S SO ACCURATE IT SHOULD BE SHOT TO DEATH !!!!

On guntrader now.

I will see if I can find a review of the Ruger for you.

ft

edit, have just found this review, I know it is not the calibre you want but the action and trigger etc, should be similar; http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_rugerM77VT_savageM12.htm

and this;

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/110341...er_M77_Mk2.html

I have just been speaking to a mate who is an RFD. He reminded me that before I bought my Sako he tried selling me a .257 Roberts Ruger Mk1. It had quite a bit of work done on it as the trigger on the mk1's broke at something like 6lbs and Garry had fitted a trigger upgrade so it was a bit more friendly. Seemingly the mk11's are better, and the Hawkeye is better again.

atb, ft

I've been considering a CZ actually. I started off looking at a 550 Safari which has a heavy sporter profile barrel and open sights, set trigger etc. Maybe I should just stick with that? It will shoot well enough for me I'm sure.

How easy is it to smooth the bolt up a bit? I love CZs but they are a little gritty to cycle!

I've been considering a CZ actually. I started off looking at a 550 Safari which has a heavy sporter profile barrel and open sights, set trigger etc. Maybe I should just stick with that? It will shoot well enough for me I'm sure.

How easy is it to smooth the bolt up a bit? I love CZs but they are a little gritty to cycle!

My cz 550 was a bit sticky out the box....I just sat down one night and kept working it until it came good...I think it took me about 7 cans of fosters until it came good :D

njc, I do not know about smoothing the bolt up, I am seeing Garry tonight so i will ask him what he thinks. There have been several articles in one of the rifle magazines just lately about customising CZ's, I think it was Shooting Sports mag, and the guy seemed thrilled with his rifle. Why not ask a gunsmith, or email someone like Steve Kershaw or Steve Bowers and ask them to tell you what it entails and what it would cost?

I look forward to you posting some pictures of what you get.

Atb, ft

I buy used quite often but I remember my CZ452 being a pig to cycle at first! I just find them a little rough, which is a shame because the actual build of the rifles is superb for the price. If it wasn't for the action they'd be lovely. The triggers are very nice (unless you count the rimfires).

I've heard of people putting a little fine grinding paste on bolts and working them. Is that something I can do or is it best left to someone who knows what they're doing?

I've heard of people putting a little fine grinding paste on bolts and working them. Is that something I can do or is it best left to someone who knows what they're doing?

njc, I have had a word with my RFD friend who does gunsmithing (he is a precision engineer) about your grinding paste theory. After he stopped swearing, I managed to convince him that you were not nuts, I hope I am right?

He suggested that you would need to be very careful where you took the metal from. He lamp blacks the bolts, fits them and pushes them home into the action. Then takes them out to check if there are any bits of metal sitting proud. He uses what looks to me like dentists mirrors to check the seating where the lugs of the bolt fit and has made tools that allow him to apply paste and rub the high places down, with very, very fine paste.

If you are confident enough to have a go you are a better man than me, but you knew that anyway! He suggests that if you buy new you ask the shop to have the action sorted before you take it home. Then it is their problem if anything goes wrong.

Atvb, ft

Flytie, I figured that would be the answer! Maybe it's not such a good idea! I've just got a price for a Ruger Hawkeye stainless synthetic, a grand total of £730. Not bad in my view, although I know little about the rifles. They certainly look nice!

What really gets me down is I'm only after the .300 because my force are making it hard for me to have my .375H&H to use in the UK. I don't even want the bloody thing :wacko:

Flytie, I figured that would be the answer! Maybe it's not such a good idea! I've just got a price for a Ruger Hawkeye stainless synthetic, a grand total of £730. Not bad in my view, although I know little about the rifles. They certainly look nice!

What really gets me down is I'm only after the .300 because my force are making it hard for me to have my .375H&H to use in the UK. I don't even want the bloody thing :wacko:

njc, the Hawkeye certainly got good reviews.

I am a little concerned that your force do not like you having the .375H&H, It is one of the few big game guns that actually meet the requirements that the Home Office set for shooting deer :o Could you not say you are Boar shooting, surely you have them near you? Have you tried talking to Mike Eveleigh at the BASC, or another of their gun bods. I am sure it can't be right, putting pressure on you like that. I would fight them all the way on principle :o

I wish you all the best, ft

I know this may sound a little weird as I always advise people to stand their ground on these matters, but I'm really stuck on this one. My FEO gives me pretty much everything I ask for, he's a really nice guy. I don't want to throw my toys out of the pram and get him a load of hassle over this. He's met me half way and said that he will allow it if I can provide him with evidence that I shoot Red Deer as the guidelines do state larger species of Deer. I have one contact in Devon who could help me out with this, but he has informed me that his local force wont allow it. I can't expect him to throw his toys out of the pram on my behalf, I feel that would be too much to ask.

I may book a week in Scotland with a contact of a friend of mine. If that will get it sorted then it will be money well spent. I think I could have access to a Boar shoot locally if I really beg, but that is another matter. I don't think the guidelines include Boar in their list for the larger calibres although I may be mistaken.

Really it is down to me. It's more a question of whether it is worth the effort for what I will gain than whether I can actually get it. Anything is possible but sometimes energy and funding is better spent elsewhere!

I don't suppose an invite to shoot a fallow would help, would it?

ft

edit, In regards to shooting boar defra state .270 and above. Well it qualifies on that count :o It is also one of the recommended calibres if shooting in france. I read an article by the chap that owns "Jeffery's" rifles, Paul Roberts i think it is, and it was one of the calibres recommended by him. But I know what you mean, is it worth the hassle? But I hate them (FEO's) doing this, what's wrong with owning a "Big Gun"? I mean you might decide to go to Africa for the big five, or the US for bear. Why shouldn't you have one, just in case :o Rant over, I will now go and take a pill and go and dream of Africa, and big guns :wacko:

ft

Guest Tiff

I've been there and done this!!!!

Simply put if you don't want a LOAD of hassle and heartache, do NOT go above .30. I had BASC and several private solicitors/lawyers on this one (for free..) and unless i took it to county court, I wasn't going to go get anywhere.

Whats the difference between the round I have now and my old one....... about .030 :o or 10 grains of bullet :wacko:

Just don't battle on this one, if you want to live to a rip old age.

Flytie, if it does I will get back to you. Thankyou.

I am actually in talks with my head of dept again now. Originally he said I could have one if I could give him a permission for large Deer, but at the time I didn't have one so left it. I have now brought it back up and he has said no. My latest e-mail consisted of home office quotes and strong questions, so we will see.

I don't know why they get so weird over this. I've told him that if I can have it I wont need the .300WM and that should surely be a good thing as I will have less firearms in the house? If I could have it I wouldn't need another rifle for anything, which would suit me fine! I want one or the other and the thought of shooting a big Bear with a .300WM is less than appealing! .30s just don't transfer their energy like a bigger bullet does.

Flytie, if it does I will get back to you. Thankyou.

I am actually in talks with my head of dept again now. Originally he said I could have one if I could give him a permission for large Deer, but at the time I didn't have one so left it. I have now brought it back up and he has said no. My latest e-mail consisted of home office quotes and strong questions, so we will see.

I don't know why they get so weird over this. I've told him that if I can have it I wont need the .300WM and that should surely be a good thing as I will have less firearms in the house? If I could have it I wouldn't need another rifle for anything, which would suit me fine! I want one or the other and the thought of shooting a big Bear with a .300WM is less than appealing! .30s just don't transfer their energy like a bigger bullet does.

Njc, you are more than welcome!

I cannot agree more, ballistically I know what i would rather use! .375H&H is the smallest caibre that most countries in Africa allow you to use for big game. I just like it ;) I also like the .416, possibly more than the .375, but only just :D

I do not understand what has got the Firearms folks in such a tizzy about the "African" calibres. I have two friends that do go to Botswana and Zim for plainsgame and the odd buff and they don't have a problem with licensing, but they probably belong the the right societies, rolled trouser legs and all that! Why a .300 win-mag and not a .375? Madness ;)

atb, ft

What bugs me the most is that I already have the gun. I have justified it and used it for Deer abroad and it was a lovely calibre to use. Basically all does is perform like a .30-06 but with an extra 100 grains of bullet weight! It didn't ruin the Deer I hit with it, although if I'd have had more experience with it then I would have used a more expensive bullet that didn't fragment.

I don't want to leave it sat in the safe until I next go to Canada. It's a real shame and a waste of a good rifle.

Archived